Enterprise Voice and Office 365 integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we are using office 365 system and I would like to make an enterprise voice integration, so as I read I have to install a Lync to my HQ site and voice gateway should be located in this site. So I read in many documents and this integration should make with active directory and office 365 sync synchronize is must, but I don't want to make this sync with office 365 and my active directory.

Only I want to route calls that making from lync client or smart phones directly to my voice gateway. I don't want to make any synch. anything with my internal active directory and office 365.

How can I make this, is it possible even If I don't sync my AC and Office 365 users?

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Eser,

My understanding of Office 365 and PSTN enterprise voice integration is as follows, but I am happy to be corrected by anyone who might have more insight;

At this time there is no way to have PSTN integration (Lync to phone) from Office 365 alone. The sole provider that used to offer this service (Jajah) no longer does so - although I believe that there is something on the Lync online road map to address this in the new year.

As you eluded to, if you want PSTN enterprise voice, you need to deploy the required components on-premise. Even then, your O365 users would need to be migrated to your on-premise deployment away from your O365 one.

In short, you'd end up with a Hybrid topology where your users are split; those who need PSTN enterprise voice on premise, and those who don't need it online with 365.

You would need to use something like Dirsync with Password Sync in order to maintain a seemless experience for your users and gain the ability to move users between on-prem and on-line Lync environments.

The whole Hybrid setup can essentially be viewed as a Federated Partnership between your on-prem and O365.

What you are suggesting is not possible.

Kind regards
    Ben

• Proposed as answer by Anthony CaragolMVP Friday, December 20, 2013 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, January 6, 2014 12:12 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Eser,

My understanding of Office 365 and PSTN enterprise voice integration is as follows, but I am happy to be corrected by anyone who might have more insight;

At this time there is no way to have PSTN integration (Lync to phone) from Office 365 alone. The sole provider that used to offer this service (Jajah) no longer does so - although I believe that there is something on the Lync online road map to address this in the new year.

As you eluded to, if you want PSTN enterprise voice, you need to deploy the required components on-premise. Even then, your O365 users would need to be migrated to your on-premise deployment away from your O365 one.

In short, you'd end up with a Hybrid topology where your users are split; those who need PSTN enterprise voice on premise, and those who don't need it online with 365.

You would need to use something like Dirsync with Password Sync in order to maintain a seemless experience for your users and gain the ability to move users between on-prem and on-line Lync environments.

The whole Hybrid setup can essentially be viewed as a Federated Partnership between your on-prem and O365.

What you are suggesting is not possible.

Kind regards
    Ben

• Proposed as answer by Anthony CaragolMVP Friday, December 20, 2013 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, January 6, 2014 12:12 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Ben, first of all thank you for your quick reply.

secondly, sorry for my english :) but I guess I could not explain my request clearly. So Our needs not a directly integration with office 365 alone, as my search in web, If someone using the 365 in cloud they could route the calls through the pstn with voip gateway. So I found some topologies and I understood if you want to make a config like this, I have install a Lync 2013 server on my local site but this lync server should sync with Active directory etc etc.

So the point is, yes, I have an active directory in my office, so I have users in 365 in cloud  but they are not synchronized in each other. I don't want to syn. them. Just if somebody who have a E4 license when it call a pstn number lync is route the call to my gateway and vice versa if somebody call a number xxx I could route the call from my gateway through the Lync site.

Is it possible to do it ?

Thank you and best regards.

Eser 8th 

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:41 PM
  • You're welcome - but no, this is not possible.

Even if you had your O365 and on-premise sync'd, a user that is in the cloud would not be able to place a call to the PSTN. You would need to move them from the cloud to your new on-premise Lync server - that's why the topology says you need a Lync server.

At this time an E4 online Lync user cannot call the PSTN - they must be migrated to your on-premise Lync server. You cannot route calls from Lync online to the gateway on your site.

Kind regards
    Ben

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hi Ben, this is very useful information for me. I used to miss understood when I read it because I guessed we have to sycn the active directory and Office 365 databases in each other. Now I understood I have to install a Lync on-premise server on my site and I have to migrate to the users to this Lync server, but I have another questions :) So after that migration my Lync clients would log in to the directly my on-premise server or office 365 server ? So I wonder this server will be used only for calls or other whole operation. because actually I don't know what does it mean the on-premise term in Lync, We have Lync licences as enterprise or standard.

What are the difference between on-premise Lync server and standard Lync server ? Could I make this operation with my standard Lync Server that I will be installed on my site ?

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Sorry, On-Premise is a term used for a Lync Server that exists on your own internal network.

The problem you face without syncing your O365 and On-Premise environment is that you won't actually be able to migrate the users that require PSTN calling (Enterprise Voice). Instead you would actually be deleting them from O365 and creating them again in your new on-premise environment (not realy a migraiton).

Ideally at this point someone with Hybrid voice experience would step in, although I'm confident in my statements, I can't back them up with experience.

Kind regards
    Ben

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:05 PM
  • I believe Ben is correct, at the current time (Dec 2013 for those reading this in the future when it's possible), if you user is homed in Office 365, they're not going to be able to make calls regardless of a gateway on your premises.  You'll have to set up an on premise environment and host Lync there for your voice users which will be homed at your site.  You can keep your non-EV users in the cloud with the proper hybrid setup.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Ant... took me three posts to try and get that same point across!

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

There are currently no other Lync-to-phone providers available for Office 365.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/166/t/176127.aspx

Agree with Ben and Anthony, you need to install Lync Server On-Premise on your internal network and choose one of the following option to deploy PSTN connectivity:

SIP trunking to an Internet telephony service provider (ITSP)

Direct SIP connections to a PSTN gateway

More details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425749.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:01 AM
  • My bet?  Now that the Lync RTA codec is being replaced with the Skype SILK codec Microsoft will be offering Lync Online Enterprise Voice SIP trunking via the Skype global infrastructure.  At long last - an E4 license that doesn't need an on-prem server!
    Friday, April 11, 2014 9:29 AM
  • This is certainly a very interesting discussion, and something which seems to be little known, and as far as I can see undocumented.

My question would be, how would licensing work in this case? For example, I have a customer who wishes to move to Office 365 due to the varying hardware, continuous update cycle, SLA's etc. benefits, but requires Enterprise Voice. This would be for the entire user base.

Would they have to license the entire user base for Lync Enterprise Voice on premise, and also license them for Lync (plus the other services they require) for Office 365?

It would be wonderful to know if there are updates to this scenario, and documented and supported architectures.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:24 PM