Windows Server 2012 R2 WSUS support with SQL Always on? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We are in a planning stage for WSUS deployment  for patching servers and client machines.

We have plan to host WSUS DB on SQL 2014 SP1 but i am stuck if WSUS DB supports 'Always On' (Always On Availability groups)? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Regards,

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi MS Expert 2010,

I haven't seen an official support statement for or against using WSUS in an AlwaysOn availability group.

That said, as the only way you're going to be able to make use of an AlwaysOn (unless it's part of a System Center deployment) is by changing the database settings found in the registry under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup" (based on WSUS on Server 2012 R2), so I doubt it's something they've seriously thought about.

In principle, the implementation steps would look like this:

1. Set up WSUS as per normal using the actual hostname of the initial SQL Server.
    2. Take a back up of the WSUS database (a pre-requisite for including in the availability group).
    3. Add the WSUS database to the preferred availability group.
    4. Create a login for the computer account of the WSUS server on each SQL Server that is part of the AlwaysOn group (an often overlooked step until a failover actually occurs).
    5. Stop the WSUS service.
    6. Update the registry settings.
    7. Start the WSUS service.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi MS Expert2010,

As far as I know, SQL server "Always on" feature may not require additional configurations on WSUS side.

What error message do you get when you stuck?

Besides, WID works well for WSUS, if you do not want to bother much for the new feature of the external SQL server, you may turn to WID.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi MS Expert 2010,

I haven't seen an official support statement for or against using WSUS in an AlwaysOn availability group.

That said, as the only way you're going to be able to make use of an AlwaysOn (unless it's part of a System Center deployment) is by changing the database settings found in the registry under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup" (based on WSUS on Server 2012 R2), so I doubt it's something they've seriously thought about.

In principle, the implementation steps would look like this:

1. Set up WSUS as per normal using the actual hostname of the initial SQL Server.
    2. Take a back up of the WSUS database (a pre-requisite for including in the availability group).
    3. Add the WSUS database to the preferred availability group.
    4. Create a login for the computer account of the WSUS server on each SQL Server that is part of the AlwaysOn group (an often overlooked step until a failover actually occurs).
    5. Stop the WSUS service.
    6. Update the registry settings.
    7. Start the WSUS service.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Found a issue with Always-on support, we had it set up to a sql 2016 database in always-on, and then we installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706, and the post install steps left us running "C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

This fails when the DB is in a Always-on group, but not when it isn't...

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Hello, Lain.

Will these steps work with AGs using a listener?

Thanks,

Bob @ DTIC

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Yes, they will. (We use listeners for our availability groups)

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:11 PM