Internet explorer 11 W7 reset default home page to a MSN page. RRS feed

• Question

•  We have a domain environment with the roughly 300 computers.  Almost all the computers are Windows 7 and we have has the default home page define my GPO for years.

July 2017 we had about 50 Computers change the default  homepage that points to a Microsoft link that redirects to a msn page. The msn page is no longer a valid page.  I cannot find a pattern between the computers,  The policies are still apply and it just does not reset the default webpage for the user profile.  If you reset the Internet explorer settings everything works as normal and he gets the policy homepage.

I ruled out malware  with multiple tools could find nothing to suggest it had been hijacked.

If I log into a different  user account on the same computer that user account does not have the same problem.  My Theory was a old Microsoft patch some how did this, but I could not find a patch that had ran on the affected PC's.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:07 AM

All replies

• the new default page that clients are getting 
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:23 PM
  • HI,

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141 redirects to your local MSN domain and can be found under the HKLM\software\Microsoft\internet explorer\main keys... It is the default/default homepage setting.... that is when a user resets IE settings, the HKLM homepage setting is copied to their HKCU/IE settings, over-writing any user or GPO settings for their primary homepage.

"The msn page is no longer a valid page. " - Q: What do you mean? what is the wording of the error page?

IE will display a blank page if a homepage setting (HKCU) cannot be reached (invalid address, no internet connection).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, July 8, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Also, I consider if you installed MSN toolbar or any plugin so that why you are facing this issue,you must need to go to setting and remove extra toolbar or plugins.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:55 AM