none
Sharepoint license for FIM 2010 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planning to implement the FIM SSPR. One of our client  already have sharepoint portal.

Can you please let me kown if we need to purchase the sharepoint license. If yes, is it server based or number of users.

Thanks

Harry

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:43 PM

Answers

• On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:43:04 +0000, Harry-Harry wrote:

We are planning to implement the FIM SSPR. One of our client  already have sharepoint portal.

Can you please let me kown if we need to purchase the sharepoint license. If yes, is it server based or number of users.

The SharePoint licenses required for FIM are covered by the FIM licenses.
    There is no need to purchase additional SharePoint licenses just for FIM.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    We are Borg. AUP's are irrelevant. You will make money fast...
    -- Chris King about spammers

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

FIM is using Sharepoint Foundation so you don't need a separate license for it. It is not being deployed on full blown Sharepoint server. 

For SSPR specific you are deploying registration and reset sites which are ASP .NET applications and are not based on Sharepoint. Actually you can deploy it completely without a portal :) and configure everything through powershell but administration might be troublesome :). So in your case you will deploy:

- FIM Portal: installed on Sharepoint Foundation as a base, used for administration and helpdesk unlock operation. 

- SSPR Registration and Reset portal: ASP .NET apps, not based on Sharepoint.

Other question is if you deploy only ASP .NET apps for SSPR (not fim portal \ service) on separate box do you need FIM server license for this box? I've never investigated this path (or I've tried and I have not got clear answer). 

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Other question is if you deploy only ASP .NET apps for SSPR (not fim portal \ service) on separate box do you need FIM server license for this box? I've never investigated this path (or I've tried and I have not got clear answer). 

Each server on which Forefront Identity Manager software is installed requires a server license. Even if FIM Password Registration or Reset Portal are not running on top of SharePoint Foundation it is still FIM Software.

Thank you,

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:49 AM

All replies

• On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:43:04 +0000, Harry-Harry wrote:

The SharePoint licenses required for FIM are covered by the FIM licenses.
    There is no need to purchase additional SharePoint licenses just for FIM.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    We are Borg. AUP's are irrelevant. You will make money fast...
    -- Chris King about spammers

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Thanks for response. Is this mentioned on anywhere on the MS site.If yes, can you please share URL so that we can share the URL to client.

Thanks

Harry

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:58 PM
  • On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:58:44 +0000, Harry-Harry wrote:

Thanks for response. Is this mentioned on anywhere on the MS site.If yes, can you please share URL so that we can share the URL to client.

I don't know of anything that specifically mentions that SharePoint
    licenses are not required but if you look here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/4/8/548C1F3D-0816-48D5-8454-2AE1F18DD01E/Forefront%20Identity%20Manager%202010%20R2%20Licensing%20Datasheet.pdf

You can see that while it mentions SQL licensing, nothing is mentioned
    about SharePoint. I know for 100%  fact that no SharePoint licenses are
    required. If your customer needs more than this then they should contact
    Microsoft for additional confirmation.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    "AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking bus with hundreds of ebola victims on
    board throwing dead wombats and rotten cabbage at the other cars"
    -- a.s.r throws the Information Superhighway metaphor into reverse.

Monday, December 9, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

FIM is using Sharepoint Foundation so you don't need a separate license for it. It is not being deployed on full blown Sharepoint server. 

For SSPR specific you are deploying registration and reset sites which are ASP .NET applications and are not based on Sharepoint. Actually you can deploy it completely without a portal :) and configure everything through powershell but administration might be troublesome :). So in your case you will deploy:

- FIM Portal: installed on Sharepoint Foundation as a base, used for administration and helpdesk unlock operation. 

- SSPR Registration and Reset portal: ASP .NET apps, not based on Sharepoint.

Other question is if you deploy only ASP .NET apps for SSPR (not fim portal \ service) on separate box do you need FIM server license for this box? I've never investigated this path (or I've tried and I have not got clear answer). 

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Monday, December 9, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Other question is if you deploy only ASP .NET apps for SSPR (not fim portal \ service) on separate box do you need FIM server license for this box? I've never investigated this path (or I've tried and I have not got clear answer). 

Each server on which Forefront Identity Manager software is installed requires a server license. Even if FIM Password Registration or Reset Portal are not running on top of SharePoint Foundation it is still FIM Software.

Thank you,

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:49 AM