none
Does DPM automatically remove unused/orphaned volumes at some point? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM 2012 R2 and I protected a bunch of SQL databases. I let DPM allocate size along with enabling recovery point and replica volume co-location. Today I had to temporarily remove most of the databases from the protection group. Later I re-added them to the same protection group thinking that DPM would simply re-use the existing volumes from the "inactive protection". This was the case for most of the DB's but several of the larger DB's (50GB - 200GB) DPM allocated new volumes for. Why is this?

I can clearly see that these new volumes added to my storage pool usage. My main question is, once the recovery points from the old volumes expire will DPM automatically remove them and release the space to my storage pool?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you should see the old volumes und "inactive Protection" this has to be deleted manually by you or an admin, SCDPM will not delete this automatically

Michael Seidl (MVP)

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

you should see the old volumes und "inactive Protection" this has to be deleted manually by you or an admin, SCDPM will not delete this automatically

Since the DB's were readded to a protection group they are no longer listed under "inactive protection". Yet for some reason DPM created new volumes for them, so my question is, what happened to the old volumes and will DPM remove them on its own?
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:14 PM
  • DPM created new volumes : This depend on colocation that how it was backed up before. Fr example when you create protection group first time and didn't choose co-location for volumes, DPM will allocate individual volume to each database. And after removing these volumes these went to inactive protection. 

next time when you reprotect them and choose co-location, DPM will create new volumes because all databases are backed up to single volume so old individual volumes in Inactive protection can't be reuse. 

So if you choose same co-location settings for these databases which you were using before removing them, DPM will reuse same volumes. Otherwise new volume will be allocated. 

You will have to remove these inactive volumes manually, DPM will not remove. But take care of recovery points as old recovery points might be on these inactive volumes as per your retention policy. 

• Edited by V Jay Rana Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

What you explained actually isn't the behavior that I noticed. Identical co-location settings were chosen when the databases were added to the PG and when they were re-added to the group.

That aside, I have no issues removing the inactive volumes manually, but how would I identify which ones they are?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:30 PM
  • If you move a backup to a new volume, DPM will remove the old volume once all recovery points have expired.

I'd imagine the same would happen in this case.

• Proposed as answer by V Jay Rana Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Jon's point is Right > 

For example, for a database 'XYZ' I have 30 days retention. I added it on (25/05/2016) Just 5 days back. means on 25/06/2016 I will have 30 recovery points from 25/05/2016 to 24/06/2016.

Lets say I deleted it today (01/06/2016) and re added again which create new volume. Means your 5 day's recovery points are residing on that Old inactive volume and on new volume your first recovery point will be of 01/06/2016. 

Now its your choice if you need these 5 day's recovery points or not. If you dont need then you can delete that inactive volume. If you need then keep inactive volume as it is....DPM will delete that on 07/01/2016 when these recovery points expired according to 30 days retention. 

Hope this make sense. 

• Edited by V Jay Rana Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:57 PM
  • DPM will delete that on 07/01/2016 when these recovery points expired according to 30 days retention.  

This is what I wanted to confirm. This is a new server so I am trying to keep the storage pools as trim as possible for future expansion. I understand the implications of deleting the old volumes prior to the recovery points expiring.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:16 PM