none
IETelemetry WMI container missing after all Windows updates - Unable to enable Site Discovery

Question

• I am working on deploying the IE Site Discovery at my company and on the few machines I've tested against the WMI container of root\cimv2\IETelemetry does not exist despite being on IE 11 and running the latest patches directly from Windows updates. I am specifically bypassing our WSUS server and going to Windows updates to ensure I am getting everything.

I had no issues deploying this to my home network running Windows 7 Pro and 8.1 Pro. The only major difference is the Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Enterprise SKUs used by the OS at my company.

Is there a hotfix I can key off of that would definitely tell me I should have that WMI entry or what can I do to get that created? Until that is created I am not able to run the Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1 toolkit script.

This is the output I get currently running the powershell script.

PS C:\Temp\Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1> powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass .\IETElemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1
    Get-WmiObject : Invalid namespace "root/cimv2/IETelemetry"
    At C:\Temp\Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1\IETelemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1:79 char:25
    +             $security = Get-WmiObject -Namespace root/cimv2/IETelemetry-Class _ ...
    +
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-WmiObject], Management   Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.C   ommands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Caught an exception:
    Exception Type: System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException
    Exception Message: Method invocation failed because [System.Management.Automation.PSInternalMemberSet] does not contain a method named 'InvokeMethod'.

And WBEMTEST gives me

Number: 0x8004100e

Facility: WMI

Description: Invalid Namespace

• Edited by IAMaven Friday, May 15, 2015 8:43 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 8:39 PM

Answers

• I found my own answer. The administrative account I was using in our test domain was not able to launch powershell "as admininistrator" due to a one way domain trust issue. Powershell would launch, but would not specify "administrator" at the top. Once I ran with an account that did not have the trust issue, the commands went through.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:51 PM

All replies

• About CSS, Script, it would be better to post at IE development Forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:47 AM
  • This is not CSS or scripting, this is enterprise IE management. This section is specifically for "Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions."

If the deployment and configuration of IE site discovery doesn't fall into that, I really don't know what would.

Please read further into this technology at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn833204.aspx

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 4:58 PM
  • I found my own answer. The administrative account I was using in our test domain was not able to launch powershell "as admininistrator" due to a one way domain trust issue. Powershell would launch, but would not specify "administrator" at the top. Once I ran with an account that did not have the trust issue, the commands went through.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Hi IAMaven,

could you help me to set up enterprise site discovery please, I am having the same issues that Invalid Name space error

also, firstly i want to test this manually on a single computer but I am unable to do it, could you help me how can I enable WMI recording without GPO.

THanks in advance

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 12:02 PM
  • having the same issues that Invalid Name space error

Me too but I think that this will be my problem rather than the one suggested by the post which was marked "Answer".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn833204.aspx

<quote>

You must use System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager or later for these samples to work.

</quote>

Otherwise I think that both the question and the answer are misleading or incomplete.  E.g. I am in Administrator: Windows PowerShell; so if just that is enough to find the namespace implied by the message I would expect this to find it:

PS>Get-WMIObject -Namespace root -List *Telem* -recurse

I was a bit lazy about dealing with this requirement and trying to run the script for W8

Setup and configuration package

E.g. I just opened it, found out where it was going (into a Temp directory) and tried to run that from PS. 

PS>LS -Re -Fi *8.ps1 | foreach { Invoke-Expression '. $_.FullName' }

Evidently it is trying to run the script which caused the message that the OP is reporting. However, I think the most significant part of the complete error message would be this

Caught an exception:
    Exception Type: System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException
    Exception Message: Method invocation failed because [System.Management.Automation.PSInternalMemberSet] does not contain
    a method named 'InvokeMethod'.
    Perhaps if I had SCCM installed the first bogus message would disappear?  Who knows?

So, I agree with the point made by the first responder; you are more likely to get more informed help by asking in a forum which is most likely to have knowledge about all of the requirements, especially, as I mentioned, the SCCM one, which I know that I do not have; so if the message is bogus it will just be a case of GIGO.

FWIW I am unmarking the Answer in case it causes someone who does have a complete answer a better chance of seeing an unanswered question to respond to.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 4:06 PM
    Answerer
  • We've been running this for about a year and I didn't see there were questions for me. One other issue I ran into was that the powershell script requires the supporting files to with it. I made the mistake of deploying the powershell code initially without the supporting files.

One other issue I ran into after a year of collecting internal data was the bloat associated with this collection. We have a lot of one time use URLs. To combat this, I am having a powershell script run once a month to remove anything that was not accessed more than 20 times. This captures only the most commonly used sites and has reduced the data load a lot. Its almost a 80% reduction. You can modify this code to suit your needs.

$IEUrlInfoData = Get-WMIObject -namespace root/cimv2/IETelemetry -query "Select * from IESystemInfo where systemKey = 'SystemKey'" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    If ([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($IEUrlInfoData) -eq $false)
    {
    $IEUrlInfoDataSrc = Get-WMIObject -namespace root/cimv2/IETelemetry -Class IEURLInfo
    $IEUrlInfoDataSrc | ?{$_.NumberOfVisits -lt 20} | Remove-WmiObject
    }

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:15 PM