none
Windows Server 2012 Essentials Office 365 Integration Module RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was referred to this forum from Office 365 forum and am hoping someone here can help me out with the issue I am having on Windows Server 2012 Essentials Office 365 Integration Module.

We did a cut-over migration and migrated 15 mailboxes to Office 365 E3 Plan from Windows SBS 2003/Exchange 2003. We replaced the Server 2003 with Windows Server 2012 Essentials after the migration. We then installed Office 365 Integration module on the server so that we can sync the password between the server AD user accounts and Office 365 user accounts. The module appears to connects to the Office 365 accounts on the cloud as I can see the summary of our Office 365 under Office 365 Dashboard, although there are no users listed under USERS dashboard.

The problem is that the password sync is not working. Changing password on the server user account with ADCU do not sync up to the Office 365 account on the cloud.

I tested, just to see  if the integration is working, to create a test user account through the integration module. It creates an AD user account but no Office 365 account. It gives me an error reads "Cannot create the user account. Please restart the Add a User Account Wizard, and then try again." Restarting the wizard make no difference.

I am not sure if it's related to the problem, but our AD network domain name is not same as the Office 365 domain name.

AD Domain name: mydomain.local

Office 365 Domain name: mydomain.org

I would like to know how to get password sync working between the AD account and Office 365 account with the Office 365 module.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• It was a typo. My mind was still on the SBS wizards when I wrote that sentence. I meant to say you need to import the *users* (not wizards) into the dashboard.

"1. We see none of our AD/Office 365 users listed under USERS on the navigation bar of the dashboard. We assume this is because the 15 mailboxes on the cloud are not linked to their respective AD account on the server. "

That assumption is incorrect. The dashboard maintains its own list of users. Thus my comment that you need to import them into the dashboard. Again, there is a powershell cmdlet to do so. Documented here (yes this is 2011, but applies to 2012 as well) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg186125.aspx

"2. Password sync is not working. We assume this is because the Office 365 accounts and AD accounts are not linked. "

Again, the assumption is wrong. Well, technically it is correct, but the idea behind it is wrong. The "link" between the AD account and the O365 account is not done via AD at all. The Essentials Dashboard manages that link and thus also manages the password sync. Hence, by solving #1 above, you can then solve the second issue because you can then establish said link.

• Marked as answer by usshugo Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Manually adding a user to the console

If you added users via ADUC or migrated to Essentials and now the user isn't in the console - follow this:

To manually import user names into the Dashboard
    On the Destination Server, open a Command Prompt window as an
    administrator. For more information, see To open a Command Prompt window as an Administrator

Type *cd “\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin”*, and press ENTER.

Type *WssPowerShell.exe*, and then press ENTER.

Type *Import-WssUser –SamAccountName <username>*, and then press ENTER.

Repeat the previous step for each user name that you want to import into the Dashboard.

Don't Retire TechNet

• Unmarked as answer by Andy QiModerator Monday, August 26, 2013 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy QiModerator Monday, August 26, 2013 5:23 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:55 AM

All replies

• Essentials, just as its predecessor SBS before it, requires that you use the dashboard and wizards if you want the various pieces to work together. This includes the O365 integration module and password syncing feature. IF you change the password via the Dashboard, the password will sync. If you don't, it won't.

If you *have* no users in the dashboard, that usually is a sign of an SBS server where the users were also not created using the wizards. The migration process from SBS to Essentials imports the users into the dashboard if they had certain SBS properties, which are automatically set by the SBS wizard. This was by design as it allows service accounts, such as those created by QuickBooks, databases, antivirus programs, sharepoint, etc to not show up in the Dashboard unnecessarily.  But it also means that users created via ADUC instead of the SBS wizards didn't have the appropriate properties and are not imported during the migration.

You will need to import the wizards into the dashboard. There is a powershell command to do so; I don't have my notes on it handy, but a quick bing search will churn it up. It is documented on TechNet and in several blogs.

As far as the new user wizard failing; could be an unrelated issue. I wouldn't try to tackle both problems at once. But for reasons mentioned above, you will want to get that working as well. The dashboard creates several logs for each wizard. Again, bing will turn up the dashboard log files and looking in there will help identify the exact nature of the add user failure.

The AD domain and O365 domain do not need to match.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:28 PM
  • HI Cliff,

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by "You will need to import the wizards into the dashboard."? What wizards do we need to import and how do we do that? I searched Bing but could not really figure out what we need to do. I see alot of information about DirSync but not much for Office 365 integration module. If you could provide me more information or some links, that'll be great.

I found some log files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs, but not seem to able to make much sense out of it (lack of knowledge..).

Let me try to clarify our situation a little bit.

1. We had Windows SBS 2003 server with Exchange 2003 running on the same physical box.

2. We migrated 15 Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 cloud using a cutover migration

3. The migration went fine and our users start to access their mailbox on the cloud via Outlook client

4. We replaced the Windows SBS 2003 with Windows Server 2012 Essentials (AD resources, DNS, DHCP, and etc. were all replicated to the new server from the old server)

5. We installed Office 365 Integration module on the new server

6. We can see our Office 365 status under Office 365 on the navigation bar of the server dashboard

**Problem**

1. We see none of our AD/Office 365 users listed under USERS on the navigation bar of the dashboard. We assume this is because the 15 mailboxes on the cloud are not linked to their respective AD account on the server.

2. Password sync is not working. We assume this is because the Office 365 accounts and AD accounts are not linked.

**Question**

How do we link the mailboxes on the cloud to the AD accounts? We tried to match SMTP address and also UPN but that did not seem to have any effect, although I am not sure if we did it right or not.

Thank you,

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:46 PM
  • It was a typo. My mind was still on the SBS wizards when I wrote that sentence. I meant to say you need to import the *users* (not wizards) into the dashboard.

"1. We see none of our AD/Office 365 users listed under USERS on the navigation bar of the dashboard. We assume this is because the 15 mailboxes on the cloud are not linked to their respective AD account on the server. "

That assumption is incorrect. The dashboard maintains its own list of users. Thus my comment that you need to import them into the dashboard. Again, there is a powershell cmdlet to do so. Documented here (yes this is 2011, but applies to 2012 as well) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg186125.aspx

"2. Password sync is not working. We assume this is because the Office 365 accounts and AD accounts are not linked. "

Again, the assumption is wrong. Well, technically it is correct, but the idea behind it is wrong. The "link" between the AD account and the O365 account is not done via AD at all. The Essentials Dashboard manages that link and thus also manages the password sync. Hence, by solving #1 above, you can then solve the second issue because you can then establish said link.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Manually adding a user to the console

If you added users via ADUC or migrated to Essentials and now the user isn't in the console - follow this:

To manually import user names into the Dashboard
    On the Destination Server, open a Command Prompt window as an
    administrator. For more information, see To open a Command Prompt window as an Administrator

Type *cd “\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin”*, and press ENTER.

Type *WssPowerShell.exe*, and then press ENTER.

Type *Import-WssUser –SamAccountName <username>*, and then press ENTER.

Repeat the previous step for each user name that you want to import into the Dashboard.

Don't Retire TechNet

• Unmarked as answer by Andy QiModerator Monday, August 26, 2013 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy QiModerator Monday, August 26, 2013 5:23 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:55 AM
  • When you say you installed the Office 365 integration module on 2012 Essentials - it's already there, you just enable it?

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Hello all,

Thank you for the Technet link. I follow the instruction there to manually import users and it worked! I was also able to assign Office 365 account to the users and password sync worked as well! Again thank you so much for your help!!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:53 PM