Where Do I Get A Vista 64 Download or DVD to Upgrade From Vista 32? RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent hours the past few days pouring through forums and MS support pages looking for a way to get Vista 64 Home Premium for my Vista 32 Home Premium OEM PC. It's been an exercise in complete frustration. My last attempt was through MS on-line support where I was told my Product ID was not valid for the country I chose... and the Active X tool would not work. (BTW, I'm in the US and it's a legit copy of Windows that came with my HP PC purchased at Staples... not in some back alley.)

So as a Vista 32 user, am I entitled to a free upgrade to Vista 64? That's what I was told when I bought my PC.

If so, how do I go about getting it?

Thanks!!!!!!!

• Edited by elt70 Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:11 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:47 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Microsoft is no longer distributing Windows Vista installation media.  If your computer manufacturer is unable to provide a replacement, I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Perhaps you should consider moving on up to Windows 7 which is available for purchase from the Microsoft Store.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by elt70 Friday, February 10, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:39 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, Microsoft is no longer distributing Windows Vista installation media.  If your computer manufacturer is unable to provide a replacement, I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Perhaps you should consider moving on up to Windows 7 which is available for purchase from the Microsoft Store.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by elt70 Friday, February 10, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Carey! I have no desire to move to Windows 7 just yet because I'm sure it will come whenever I buy a new PC in a year or two. I was just hoping to finally see what this 3 year old PC could do finally running a 64bit OS. If I find a Vista 64 disk, will my current OEM Product ID work? I've read that's possible. 
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Yes, your Windows Vista product key will work with a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.  Keep in mind that one cannot perform a direct upgrade from a 32-bit Windows Vista operating system to a 64-bit Windows Vista operating system....a "clean install" would be required.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I know I'd have to do a clean install to migrate to 64 bit. Which reminds me...  I have my V32 OS on a NTFS C partition and all my files on a NTFS X partition.

Will I need to also reformat ALL the partions? Would any 64 OS be able to save files to that X partition? Or is this just asking for problems?

Thanks again! 

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:03 AM
  • You would just have to reformat the current C: paritition.

Carey Frisch

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:25 PM