none
DPM 2010 with Firestreamer Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two questions regarding using DPM 2010 and Firestreamer:

1. I have created protection groups and recovery points in DPM 2010 and set them for long-term tape proteciton using Firestreamer as the virtual tape library. Is there a way to monitor the amount of space my backup jobs are using? Will there be a warning if I am getting low on tapes and need to create more tapes?

2. I set a long-term retention range of 5 years for the protection groups I set up. How can I be sure that DPM will not overwrite these virtual tapes for five years?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2010 will show how much data was written to the tape under the management / libraries tab and looking at the data written column - this is uncompressed data, so if you enable compression it should be larger than the tape sizes you created.   DPM expects 20% of the media in the library to be free media, and will send an alert when it fall below that - this is hard coded and not configurable.

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the tape backup job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Dpm will not overwrite a tape until all recovery points are expired on that tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2010 will show how much data was written to the tape under the management / libraries tab and looking at the data written column - this is uncompressed data, so if you enable compression it should be larger than the tape sizes you created.   DPM expects 20% of the media in the library to be free media, and will send an alert when it fall below that - this is hard coded and not configurable.

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the tape backup job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Dpm will not overwrite a tape until all recovery points are expired on that tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Mike Jaquet wrote:

> DPM expects 20% of the media in the library to be free media,.... this is hard coded and not configurable.

You can change the value in the DPM SQL database. It is MinThresholdForFreePool in tbl_MM_MediaPool table. I set it to 1 and as soon as I get the error message again I will try a value of 0.

The 20% value (19 of 96 tapes in my case) was useless and annoying for me.

greetings

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:37 PM