none
group policy error

Question

• i was trying to edit group policy in policy management console, i received an error "encountered an error while parsing". how can i fix it...
    Monday, October 17, 2016 12:00 PM

Answers

• The error is complaining about C:\Windows\PolicyDefintions\inetres.admx, which is an Administrative Template file for Internet Explorer.  You can download a replacement file for it from Microsoft here:  Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer.  You also have to replace the it's language file as well at the same time (intres.adml) which is part of the download package.  If this is in an AD domain environment, you'll need to overwrite the ADMX and ADML file of the same name up inside the ADMX Central Policy Store, which replicates around with AD and Group Policy replication.  If you replace the files at C:\Windows\PolicyDefintions located on the DC with the PDCe role, this will accomplish the task all around.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Since there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be corrupted, have you tried to replace the C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions with a right copy?

Please take the following steps to fix this issue:
    1. Download the Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML)
    2. Install the exe and replace the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions with the folder PolicyDefinitions created by AdminTemplates_32.exe\AdminTemplates_64.exe.
    Note: Please backup the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions before the replacement.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:24 AM
  • > Since there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be
    > corrupted, have you tried to replace the C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions
    > with a right copy?

No, it is not corrupted. It was updated with a security fix, and that
    security fix contained a new ADMX, but not the matching ADML files...

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:34 AM

All replies

• The error is complaining about C:\Windows\PolicyDefintions\inetres.admx, which is an Administrative Template file for Internet Explorer.  You can download a replacement file for it from Microsoft here:  Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer.  You also have to replace the it's language file as well at the same time (intres.adml) which is part of the download package.  If this is in an AD domain environment, you'll need to overwrite the ADMX and ADML file of the same name up inside the ADMX Central Policy Store, which replicates around with AD and Group Policy replication.  If you replace the files at C:\Windows\PolicyDefintions located on the DC with the PDCe role, this will accomplish the task all around.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Since there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be corrupted, have you tried to replace the C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions with a right copy?

Please take the following steps to fix this issue:
    1. Download the Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML)
    2. Install the exe and replace the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions with the folder PolicyDefinitions created by AdminTemplates_32.exe\AdminTemplates_64.exe.
    Note: Please backup the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions before the replacement.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:24 AM
  • > Since there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be
    > corrupted, have you tried to replace the C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions
    > with a right copy?

No, it is not corrupted. It was updated with a security fix, and that
    security fix contained a new ADMX, but not the matching ADML files...

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:58 AM
  • well i downloaded intres.adml file from Microsoft. it is saved in my server in desktop as C:\Users\adnan.TRI-SPECTRUM\Desktop\KB2841134\en-us.  i tried  to copy or replace C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us.. but cold not, was asking for administrator privileges. so want to copy/replace in cmd by running it as administrator. please assist me with this...
    Sunday, October 23, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Take ownership of Policydefinitions and all files and subfolders. Then grant yourself or Administrators write access. Then copy.

Try (from admin command line) "takeown /f %windir%\policydefinitions /r /a"

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:36 AM
  • i tried but still not able to copy file in policy definitions. i am longed in as administrator. is ther any other way to copy mentioned file..
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:56 AM
  • i tried but still not able to copy file in policy definitions. i am longed in as administrator. is ther any other way to copy mentioned file..

Try this, on the computer where you use GPMC:

[run CMD as Administrator]

takeown /f C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\ /r /a
    icacls C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\* /grant Administrators:F

[now, try to copy/replace the ADMX/ADML files as needed]

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:34 AM
  • i tried but still not able to copy or replace..
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:50 AM