none
Creating VHDX Templates for Hyper-V and VMM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on updating all my VHDX files used for my templates to deploy Server OSs 2012 R2, Server 2016, Server 2019.

Does it matter where I create the template VM that I copy the vhdx from? If I create a VM on my Windows 10 Workstation or my Windows 2012 R2 server for Server 2016 or Server 2019 OS image work, will there be any differences or concerns with then using that VHDX in a template on a Server 2016 host or Server 2019 host?

Or, is it some best practice that if I make an OS image for Server 2016 I should create the VM image on a hyper-v Server 2016, or Server 2019 Image on a hyper-v server running 2019? 

These are practices for both my labs and for production template deployments. 

T.J.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:34 PM

All replies

• Host should not make any difference.  I developed a lot of my templates on a Windows 10 laptop and deployed them to different Windows Server Hyper-V installations.  The format of the VHDX is the same across platforms.  The installation of the operating system within the VM is controlled by the installation media, not by the hosting Hyper-V.

tim

Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen      

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 1:44 AM