SMS 2003 to SCCM 2007 Upgrade Error RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2007. The install start to run but fails at the second step (I believe it says creating and initializing database).

I get an error that says Configuration Manager Setup cannot coninue because of the following error:

Setup cannot upgrade the ConfigMgr Database. Please conact your system administrator.

Thats all it says. Nothing in the event log on the DB or SMS server. We only have one sms server all together. The suer I am running the install with is a local admin to both the sms and db server.

Does anyone have any clues as to why this may be happening?

Thank you for any insight or guidance you can provide.

Patrick

Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:28 PM

Answers

• Yes, Microsoft ran extensive testing within their lab for around 2 weeks. They said the only way around the issue with the .com was to install sql on the sms server itself so that it would use the local account to set it up rather than use one of our .com accounts.

We did this, restored the db to newly installed sql and it upgraded fine.

I know it may differnt than your situation but it worked for us. Sorry I dont have anything better to share.

Patrick

• Marked as answer by TorstenMMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:00 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:05 PM
  • For my case this issue was the SQL authentication mode. 

The issue was that the sql server was configured for Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication) and needed to be configured for Windows Authentication Mode (Windows Authentication).  

During the SCCM pre-check there is a warning that Windows Authentication Mode is recommended, we ignore this warning as it was not a critical warning message and did not prevent the installation.

When we set SQL to Windows Authentication Mode the upgrade went fine. 

Our SMS and SQL were on the same box.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:49 PM

All replies

• Did you preform for the database upgrade test on a copy of your database first?  This would tell you if it something with the account.  If you failed to peform this step then I would recommend you restore your backup copy of the db and run the test on it to see where the problem lies?  If the database is on a sql 2000 server then it will need to be upgraded to a 2005 database first.

Is this a SP3 site?  Which should be on SQL 2005.  Could you give us a little more info on the site and the prereq test.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the response.

I will try the dbtest you mentioned.

It is an sp3 site and the database was on sql 2000 but we moved it to sql 2005 sp2 last week and repointed sms 2003 to it and it was working fine.

The prereq only came up with the mmc error (which I just patched and rebooted but its still coming up) and I did receive two other warnings about packages. The only other warning was about sql being in mixed mode rather than windows only mode...but since this was just a warning I would assume that it should still work

I checked the confgmgrsetup.log and below is what I get:

<07-17-2008 16:09:28> ***SqlError: [42S22][207][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'UpdateSource_ID'.
    <07-17-2008 16:09:28> ***SqlError: [42S22][207][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'MinScanPackageVersion'.
    <07-17-2008 16:09:28> ***SqlError: [42S22][207][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'UpdateSource_ID'.
    <07-17-2008 16:09:28> ***SqlError: [42S22][207][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'MinScanPackageVersion'.
    <07-17-2008 16:09:28> SqlExecute < IF EXISTS(select * from SMSData where SMSBuildNumber < 5300) AND OBJECT_ID('CI_UpdateCIs') IS NOT NULL
     BEGIN
        IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..##TempCIUpdateSources') IS NOT NULL
       BEGIN
         drop table ##TempCIUpdateSources
       END
       EXEC(' CREATE TABLE ##TempCIUpdateSources (CI_ID int,UpdateSource_ID int, MinScanPackageVersion int)
       insert into ##TempCIUpdateSources (CI_ID, UpdateSource_ID, MinScanPackageVersion)
       select CI_ID, UpdateSource_ID, MinScanPackageVersion from CI_UpdateCIs where UpdateSource_ID is not null and MinScanPackageVersion is not null')
     END
     >
    <07-17-2008 16:09:28> Cannot execute sql command  IF EXISTS(select * from SMSData where SMSBuildNumber < 5300) AND OBJECT_ID('CI_UpdateCIs') IS NOT NULL
     BEGIN
        IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..##TempCIUpdateSources') IS NOT NULL
       BEGIN
         drop table ##TempCIUpdateSources
       END
       EXEC(' CREATE TABLE ##TempCIUpdateSources (CI_ID int,UpdateSource_ID int, MinScanPackageVersion int)
       insert into ##TempCIUpdateSources (CI_ID, UpdateSource_ID, MinScanPackageVersion)
       select CI_ID, UpdateSource_ID, MinScanPackageVersion from CI_UpdateCIs where UpdateSource_ID is not null and MinScanPackageVersion is not null')
     END

<07-17-2008 16:09:28> Setup cannot upgrade the ConfigMgr database.  Contact your SQL administrator.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Hey all. I restored the database, ran the testdbupgrade successfully.

However Microsoft is saying that the upgrade failed because my pre-windows 2000 domain name has a .com in it and sccm doesnt like that. Trying to work with them to figure this out...has anyone else encountered this before?

Monday, August 4, 2008 8:36 PM
  • so, have you found a solution?

i seem to have the same problem.

i have no .com though....

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Yes, Microsoft ran extensive testing within their lab for around 2 weeks. They said the only way around the issue with the .com was to install sql on the sms server itself so that it would use the local account to set it up rather than use one of our .com accounts.

We did this, restored the db to newly installed sql and it upgraded fine.

I know it may differnt than your situation but it worked for us. Sorry I dont have anything better to share.

Patrick

Monday, October 27, 2008 12:05 PM
  • For my case this issue was the SQL authentication mode. 

The issue was that the sql server was configured for Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication) and needed to be configured for Windows Authentication Mode (Windows Authentication).  

During the SCCM pre-check there is a warning that Windows Authentication Mode is recommended, we ignore this warning as it was not a critical warning message and did not prevent the installation.

When we set SQL to Windows Authentication Mode the upgrade went fine. 

Our SMS and SQL were on the same box.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Yes Sase is right. SQL server must be configured for Mixed mode authentication.

Vijay Ramshetty

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Yes Sase is right. SQL server must be configured for Mixed mode authentication.

First, that's not accurate, ConfigMgr is fine with either Windows Authentication or both SQL and Windows Authentication enabled (only those two options exist). Next, why are you tacking on to a thread almost three years old?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I got the same error in my lab any suggestions ??

My pre domain doesn't have .com and I am running on windows auth mode on SQL

Murali Krishna V.S

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:37 PM