none
How many Protection Groups should I have in DPM 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

So I have DPM 2012 working just fine in our environment for the past few months. Most of the stuff looks ok, other than the co-location issues with Tapes. I am trying to resolve them. However I have a general question:

How many Protection Groups should I make?

I read some information on TechNet/docs but is there a general consensus on this topic?

Currently I have 5 PGs:

1. Physical Servers
    2. File Servers
    3. Large VMs
    4. Small VMs
    5. DPM DB

I made them like this because I thought DPM will run multiple jobs at the same time and hence take less time, overall. Is that assumption wrong?

I do D2D2T. D2D part works fine but the tapes pose a problem though....DPM uses too many tapes and leaves most of the tapes half full.

Thanks for your help!

-Rajeev

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:00 PM

Answers

• From what the research I have done so far, one should create PGs depending
    upon the protection level and retention time.

So, for example of you have a 5 file servers whose data should be retained
    for 3 months and 10 database servers whose data should be also be retained for 3
    months, you should create just one single PG.

Sure, you can also create two PGs, call one “file server PG” and the other
    “Databases PG” but I do not see any technical advantage of doing so.

So going forward, for example, if you have a bunch of dev servers who you
    wanna keep a backup of for only one month, sure go ahead and create a separate
    PG for them.

Hence I think should consolidate my 5 PGs into just two. Because only the "File servers" PG has a different protection setting than the others. The other 4 have the same protection settings. 

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks!

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Marked as answer by rajdude2 Monday, October 6, 2014 6:47 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

there is no rule for that, you can have 1 to *unlimited* Protectiongroup

My way is to create a Protectiongroup for each Workload, so one for Exchange, File, SQL, VM....

Cause i will backup a VM maybe once day or once a week, SQL and Exchange be be backed up twice a Day and synchronized maybe 5 times a Day.

You also can create PG Name Gold, Silbe, Bronce where your define more RP a Day and Longe or shorter Retention Range.

As you see, you have a lot of possibilities

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Thanks Seidl,
    So what I hear you saying is that you like to create PGs dependent on the role of the machines it is protecting. That is a good idea, but this approach will use a lot of tapes (not sure if you are using tapes). I hear that DPM likes to use one tape for each PG.

In addition to trying to find out the best practice for making PGs I am also trying to minimize the number of tapes DPM uses (the goal is to have the smallest number of tapes which constitute a weekend's full backup....which are ready to be sent off site).

Question to all reading this thread:
    Does DPM run jobs in separate PGs concurrently or sequentially?

I created multiple PGs with the exact same protection levels, hoping to speed up the backups by running the jobs concurrently.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Hi, normally DPM writes every Protection Group on a seperate Tape, but you can configure Tape Optimization on the Management/Library Tab, so DPM will colocate PG on one Tape.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Friday, October 3, 2014 5:02 AM
  • yes, I have enabled colocation...it works for the most part............but I still have many tapes which have just 200 MB or so data and marked for offsite!

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Take a Look at this Settings, they will be your solution for that

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:26 PM
  • yeah mine is almost the same....but the write period for "advanced co-location" is set to the default - 7 days.

I have recently tweaked this setting a little bit more, because I found out that I had created two new PGs but forgot to include them in the "Co-located PG set" I had created earlier.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Thanks Seidl,
    So what I hear you saying is that you like to create PGs dependent on the role of the machines it is protecting. That is a good idea, but this approach will use a lot of tapes (not sure if you are using tapes). I hear that DPM likes to use one tape for each PG.

In addition to trying to find out the best practice for making PGs I am also trying to minimize the number of tapes DPM uses (the goal is to have the smallest number of tapes which constitute a weekend's full backup....which are ready to be sent off site).

Question to all reading this thread:
    Does DPM run jobs in separate PGs concurrently or sequentially?

I created multiple PGs with the exact same protection levels, hoping to speed up the backups by running the jobs concurrently.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Replying to my own question, hoping it will help someone.

DPM has a limit of concurrent jobs  which is set to 3 by default. It is a registry setting which one can change.

screenshot

I found this and some other, very good information here:

http://www.hyper-v.nu/archives/hvredevoort/2012/12/hyper-v-protection-with-data-protection-manager-2012-sp1/

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Edited by rajdude2 Friday, October 3, 2014 2:45 PM added missing screenshot
    Friday, October 3, 2014 2:43 PM
  • From what the research I have done so far, one should create PGs depending
    upon the protection level and retention time.

So, for example of you have a 5 file servers whose data should be retained
    for 3 months and 10 database servers whose data should be also be retained for 3
    months, you should create just one single PG.

Sure, you can also create two PGs, call one “file server PG” and the other
    “Databases PG” but I do not see any technical advantage of doing so.

So going forward, for example, if you have a bunch of dev servers who you
    wanna keep a backup of for only one month, sure go ahead and create a separate
    PG for them.

Hence I think should consolidate my 5 PGs into just two. Because only the "File servers" PG has a different protection setting than the others. The other 4 have the same protection settings. 

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks!

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Marked as answer by rajdude2 Monday, October 6, 2014 6:47 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 3:05 PM