none
The question mark "?" appears occasionally in the beginning of the email

Question

• Any idea why this user has an occasional "?" symbol appear in the beginning of his email? He uses OWA and the issue occurs when it's an external recipient and happened with different domains but it seems to be an issue on the recipient recipient side, maybe.  But I wonder what would cause it. Here's what the sender said:

"The character (?) never shows on any email as I am sending it.  It only appears to the recipient.  I only see it when the email chain is sent back to me. I only use IE as a browser.  It appears on almost all emails that I send to others as a reply, but not always.  I cannot discern a pattern."

ms

Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, please ensure:
    1. Is this issue occur on internal mail flow?
    2. How about send message as Plain Text format?
    3. Is "?" show in message subject or body?

If it's in message subjectm, please run below command in each side (source side and destination side) to get the subject by message tracking log:

$Servers = Get-ExchangeServer; $Servers | where {$_.isHubTransportServer -eq $true -or $_.isMailboxServer -eq $true} | Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageId xxxxxx@contoso.com | Select MessageSubject,Timestamp,ServerHostname,ClientHostname,Source,EventId,Recipients

Then, you can compare the message subject in each section and find the source of this issue.

Moreover, you can enable Pipeline tracing log to further troubleshooting.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 1:57 PM

All replies

• Do you have any message hygiene appliance, server or cloud service between the Internet and Exchange?  What happens if you bypass it temporarily?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, September 23, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, please ensure:
    1. Is this issue occur on internal mail flow?
    2. How about send message as Plain Text format?
    3. Is "?" show in message subject or body?

If it's in message subjectm, please run below command in each side (source side and destination side) to get the subject by message tracking log:

$Servers = Get-ExchangeServer; $Servers | where {$_.isHubTransportServer -eq $true -or $_.isMailboxServer -eq $true} | Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageId xxxxxx@contoso.com | Select MessageSubject,Timestamp,ServerHostname,ClientHostname,Source,EventId,Recipients

Then, you can compare the message subject in each section and find the source of this issue.

Moreover, you can enable Pipeline tracing log to further troubleshooting.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 1:57 PM