Microsoft Visio Professional 2007 repair message RRS feed

• Question

• A customer of mine has Visio Professional 2007 and every day or so he gets the pop up wanting him to select either add or remove Features, Repair or Remove.  After doing the repair it works, but he keeps getting this.  I've removed the program and reinstalled, but the problem came back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I know that Visio Professional 2007 always need to repair.
    If I misunderstand your concern, please feel free to let me know.

It might be caused by corrupted file, registry when run incompatible applications.

To narrow down this issue, we need run Microsoft Office Diagnostics to collect information and troubleshoot this issue. More details about it, please refer to:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Diagnose-and-repair-crashing-Office-programs-by-using-Office-Diagnostics-79da9853-439c-47fe-826d-ef678d3f726e

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, February 12, 2016 11:04 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 8:17 AM
  • It seems there is some issue with an installation made in the computer through Microsoft Installer. Hence the dialog pops up, since shortcut for the application points to Visio 2007's installation GUID, rather than the physical location. You can check this by opening the properties of the Visio 2007 shortcut, where, you can find under Shortcut tab, next to Target label, the option has been greyed out.

Now, to fix this, create a shortcut manually. Go to the program installed location, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\, and look for the file Visio.exe. If it's a 32-bit installation in 64-bit Windows, it'll be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\.

Now, create a shortcut of the file Visio.exe by right clicking on the file -> click on Send to -> select Desktop (create shortcut). Then go to Desktop, check for the file and open the file. Check if the error persists. You can verify the properties of the created shortcut file with the originally created shortcut explained above.

If the shortcut is working fine, place the manually created shortcut in the following folder, removing the original shortcut:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:02 AM