Designer 2010 Error – MS SharePoint Designer has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi forum members.  MS SharePoint Designer 2010 has suddenly stopped working.  I now receive the error message “MS SharePoint Designer has stopped working … a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program …. > close the program” 

I am now unable to open any SP2010 site including both new sites and sites that I previously opened with designer.

I use designer to make quick adjustments to site appearance such as table styles, without it simple adjustments are more time consuming.

I’ve scoured the internet but can’t figure out a fix.  All suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi JENN2000

From your description, your SPD has stopped working suddenly.

First, Close SPD and clear its cache. It is located here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache

Clear the cache by pasting the following in cmd:

cd "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

del *.web /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

cd "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache\"

rmdir /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache\."

mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache"

dir "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

dir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache"

pause

If the issue still exists, you can try to repair/reinstall SPD to see if this can fix it.

Then you can check if you have installed multiple versions of SPD, if so, check the following link to troubleshoot: 

http://sympmarc.com/2013/04/16/sharepoint-designer-2013-crashing-on-open-site-the-fix/

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi JENN2000

From your description, your SPD has stopped working suddenly.

First, Close SPD and clear its cache. It is located here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache

Clear the cache by pasting the following in cmd:

cd "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

del *.web /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

cd "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache\"

rmdir /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache\."

mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache"

dir "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache"

dir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache"

pause

If the issue still exists, you can try to repair/reinstall SPD to see if this can fix it.

Then you can check if you have installed multiple versions of SPD, if so, check the following link to troubleshoot: 

http://sympmarc.com/2013/04/16/sharepoint-designer-2013-crashing-on-open-site-the-fix/

Best regards,

Aaren liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:39 AM
  • its working again! Thank you for the tips!
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:52 PM
  • Hi JENN,

Thank you for your update and response. I'm glad to hear that the issue has been fixed.

Please mark the reply as answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Aaren liu

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:15 AM