none
Certain users unable to connect to <backup server FQDN>. (ID 948) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to allow more users to administer DPM as they will monitor the backups day to day. Unfortunately when they try to open the DPM Admin Console either by remote desktopping onto the server it's installed on or by using the Remote Administration tool they get the error:

unable to connect to <backup server FQDN>. (ID 948)

Myself and other domain admins can use it without issue so it looks like a permissions issue. I've tried adding the users into the local Administrators group but this made no difference. Apart from the dialog with the above error I can't find anything in DPM or Windows event logs around the times the problem occurs. All the threads I've found about this issue have been due to problems with the DPM services not running but this is not the case here, I can use it without issue while another user can't even open the Admin Console.

What permissions are required to use the DPM Admin Console?

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hello !

You have to give DPM server admin rights and sql database right to users who wants to connect to the admin console.

However, i advice you to install the DPM 2012 central console if you have SCOM 2012, in order to benefit to new Role Based Access.

Then you just have to give sql database right to users who wants to connect to the admin console :

Hope this helps.

Note: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions.

• Marked as answer by SystemInsider Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hello !

You have to give DPM server admin rights and sql database right to users who wants to connect to the admin console.

However, i advice you to install the DPM 2012 central console if you have SCOM 2012, in order to benefit to new Role Based Access.

Then you just have to give sql database right to users who wants to connect to the admin console :

Hope this helps.

Note: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions.

• Marked as answer by SystemInsider Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Thanks, that turned out to be the problem. It took a bit of trial and error as there don’t seem to be any instruction on what you need to do, this article:

Granting Appropriate User Privileges

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757839.aspx

Doesn’t even mention database permissions! For anyone else having this problem, I added it under Security> Logons and assigned public and sysadmin Server Roles. Then you need to add it in Databases> DPMDB> Security> Users and added it to the 3 MSDPM roles mentioned above on the Membership page.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:11 AM
  • This solution works well...

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:15 AM