Need to write powershell commandlet that will get the MailBox permission and SendAs permission RRS feed

• Question

• I have this commandlet and it gets the FullAccess information, but how can I get the SendAs permissions as well??

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited | Get-MailboxPermission -User RePlaceWithUsereMailAddress | Export-Csv -Path c:\Scripts\MailboxPermissions.csv -NoTypeInformation

Chris Premo

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:53 PM

Answers

• This is the coding I eventually found that gives me the information I needed for the SendAs:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-RecipientPermission | Sort-Object Identity | ? {$_.Trustee -ne "NT AUTHORITY\SELF"}

This is the coding I used to get the SendOnBehalfTo:

Get-Mailbox -identity *@mydomain | select Identity,GrantSendOnBehalfTo | Sort-Object GrantSendOnBehalfTo

Chris Premo

• Marked as answer by ChrisPremo Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:59 PM

All replies

• Chris,

the "SendAs" permission is actually named GrantSendOnBehalfTo and is a property of the mailbox object itself. So you can get it with something like this:

Get-Mailbox -Identity <YourSamAccountName> | Select-Object -Property Name,GrantSendOnBehalfTo 

Best regards

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:41 PM
  • Is it possible to filter for only those with GrantSendOnBehalfTo entries?  Otherwise this works.

Chris Premo

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:13 PM
  • Chris,

the "SendAs" permission is actually named GrantSendOnBehalfTo and is a property of the mailbox object itself. So you can get it with something like this:

Get-Mailbox -Identity <YourSamAccountName> | Select-Object -Property Name,GrantSendOnBehalfTo 

Best regards

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

GrantSendOnBehalfTo =/= SendAs !!!  

Send on behalf will permit a user (in this case administrator) to send e-mails as another user, but it will show that it was send by administrator@contoso.com on behalf of user@contoso.com.

Send as will give (to administrator@contoso.com ) the permission to send mail as another user ( user@contoso.com ). In this case the recipient will see only user@contoso.com in the from field. He will never know that administrator  send that e-mail ..

To list SendAs permission, u should use get-adpermission cmdlet

Get-Mailbox -Identity <account> | Get-ADPermission | ? { $_.ExtendedRights -like "*send*" } 

• Edited by Mekac Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:38 PM
  • I've tried the Get-ADPermission option, but this is only for an On-Prem Exchange server.  Ours is on O365 in the cloud.

Chris Premo

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:48 PM
  • Well, i have on-prem ..  

According to this link, SendAs permissions on O365 can be set by command "Add-RecipientPermission <identity> -AccessRights SendAs -Trustee <user>

So, isnt is possible to use Get-RecipientPermission as well to get what u need?  (Not having O365, just guessing)

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:06 PM
  • Well, i have on-prem ..  

According to this link, SendAs permissions on O365 can be set by command "Add-RecipientPermission <identity> -AccessRights SendAs -Trustee <user>

So, isnt is possible to use Get-RecipientPermission as well to get what u need?  (Not having O365, just guessing)

Yes there is Get-RecipientPermission:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff945795%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:25 AM
  • So if I use this commandlet:

Get-Mailbox-identity*@Our.Domain|selectIdentity,GrantSendOnBehalfTo|Export-Csv-Pathc:\Scripts\MailboxSendAsPermissions.csv-NoTypeInformation

Is this giving me only the permissions of: Send on behalf  and Send as

or is it only giving me Send on Behalf?  How do I tell the difference?

Chris Premo

Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:35 AM
  • So if I use this commandlet:

Get-Mailbox-identity*@Our.Domain|selectIdentity,GrantSendOnBehalfTo|Export-Csv-Pathc:\Scripts\MailboxSendAsPermissions.csv-NoTypeInformation

Is this giving me only the permissions of: Send on behalf  and Send as

or is it only giving me Send on Behalf?  How do I tell the difference?

Chris Premo

SendAs and SendOnBehalf are similar permissions, but really different.  
    Statement from BOfH_666  "the "SendAs" permission is actually named GrantSendOnBehalfTo" is wrong

SendAS is AD permission, SendOnBehalf Exchange permission.

I explained the difference between these 2  in my earlier post.  

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:12 AM
  • This is the coding I eventually found that gives me the information I needed for the SendAs:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-RecipientPermission | Sort-Object Identity | ? {$_.Trustee -ne "NT AUTHORITY\SELF"}

This is the coding I used to get the SendOnBehalfTo:

Get-Mailbox -identity *@mydomain | select Identity,GrantSendOnBehalfTo | Sort-Object GrantSendOnBehalfTo

Chris Premo

• Marked as answer by ChrisPremo Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how the issue is going, was your issue resolved?

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Albert Ling

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:17 AM