Windows XP and Domain connectivity problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking tool which check if:

1. relation sheep between Active Directory and this workstation is OK,  (group policy is applied)

2. this workstation is able to find nearest DC 

3. check if connectivity to dns is ok ( is able to resolve names, and do dns search )

4. able to read/search ldap ( user objects  attributes)

I need this tool because I have application which is heavily dependent on domain and dns. This application use dns to find DC and use LDAP protocol to connect to DC. If something is wrong with this components application faild and can't connect to DC.

Best regards,

Xentri

Xentri
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• these are tools for the questions you asked:

1.go to command prompt enter> GPUPDATE /FORCE then restart to apply all group policy settings

2. Join the workstation to the domain to see if it finds the nearest DC( rightclick my computer>properties>computer name tab>click change>in the workgroup section, type the name of the domain and click ok..restart the workstation.

3.to check for DNS connectivity  ping the hostname of the DC e.g if the DC name is officeDC, go to command prompt and type;ping officeDC -t

if you receive  a positive reply whle connected to network, then DNS is ok ..BUT if the result is "cant find host officeDC then there's a problem with DNS.

4.if group policy settings are applied then it probably means LDAP i ok too

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replay.

I didn't write that I have worstation joined to domain and this workstation is power off for most of the time. After I power on this workstation I need to be sure that there is no problem with it. Before I ask I did test:

1. ping DC - it's OK

2. nslookup DC -OK

3. nslookup domain - list lots of server lots of them are unvailable

4. gpupdate /force - GPO policy wasn't applied

5. check system event - some errors i.e computer can't apply GPO becouse computer account has different password ( something like that - ). To fix it I rejoined computer to domain and check clock. Now is OK

I hear about dcdiag and netdiag for XP. Will this tool help me ?

I need receipt that help me check if workstation hasn't problem to connect to nearest DC and read/write to domain partition ( read/ modify LDAP )

Thanks in advance for help.

Best regards,

Artur

Xentri
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:28 AM