none
SCDPM Replica Inconsistency in some virtual machine ' RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SCDPM 2012 with Windows server 2012 standard edn

I am using some file server on virtual machine which is server 2012 standard edn 

In few machine I have this issue the replica is always inconsistent 

All machines have save configuration and i have a 2 TB hdd free space available 

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check the event logs inside the guest. In the application event log, look for VSS errors. In the System event log look for VOLSNAP errors.   Check to be sure you have adequate free space on the NTFS volumes inside the guest.

What are the job details (not alert details) of the failed CC or recovery point jobs for those guests ? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Thanks Mike for a quick reply

Yes the error is the lack of disk space there was a back up error on the guest machine 

So currently i have a 500 gb hdd and 340 GB is full 

So how is the free space to backup ratio calculated 

The error is with Bare metal in this case and i have a 1.5 TB and the disk size is 2 TB 

So what other methods can I use here 

The exact error is DPM does not have sufficient storage space available on the recovery point volume to create new recovery points ID 214

Also for some database I got this error

The replica of SQL Server 2012 database SQL on SQL1 is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent. 

I tried consistence checks but it fails 

Friday, August 23, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

So you have several different unrelated problem, in the future please open separate threads, one of each problem.

1) No shadowcopy storage on protected guest.

We need the shadowcopy to remain active while the backup is in progress, so depending how active the volume is (how much data changes) will dictate how large the shadow copy gets during the backup.  If the shadowcopy storage size is too small, backup will fail because volsnap will delete the snapshot once it runs out of allocated space.

If there is no shadowcopy storage space configured inside the guest, use the following command to create it, one for each volume.

c:\>vssadmin create shadowstorage /for=d: /on=d: /maxsize=XXGB

2) BMR replica size issue - see this post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e8567f2-d3f0-4e6d-a6a6-259827894e7a/dpm-2012-out-of-disk-space-during-bmr-backup

3) Open a new post with the failed SQL Synchronization job details.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:21 PM