How to edit the incoming call number in Lync 2010 and/or 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys! How are you doing?!

I have an environment with Lync 2010 and Enterprise Voice enabled (integrated with an Avaya IP-PBX). I live in Sao Paulo - Brazil and, for this reason, I'm facing some problems with the E164 format.

I can make and receive external calls perfectly. However, when I receive a call (from a cell phone, for example), the incoming number isn't displayed as we are used to. For example:

We would like to read the number as: +55 (11) 9-1234-5678 (+55: country code; 11: Sao Paulo code; 9-1234-5678: cell phone number).

The number is displayed as: +1(191) 234-5678.

Do you have any idea where can I edit this and how to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards! 

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hey Mauricio,

If you go to Voice Routing - Dial Plan in the Lync Control Panel, you'll see at least one dial plan.  If you have just one, it will be called Global.  If you have more than one, there will likely be a site-level dial plan called whatever
    you called your Lync site in the Topology Builder.  If you just have Global, edit that one.  If you have more than one, edit the site one.  From what you're describing, I suspect you only have the Global one.

In there will be at least one normalization rule.  By default in Lync 2010, there is a Prefix All normalization rule.  It takes any 11-digit number and just sticks a + in front of it.  The Lync client then treats it as a North American number and formats it like you describe. 

It seems as though your PSTN provider is sending your numbers as 11-digits already.  So, you just need to modify the Prefix All normalization rule to add a +55 to the beginning of the number, like this:

Now, the number will appear correctly in Lync.  Unfortunately, it won't format it as you described earlier.  It will just appear in Lync as +5511912345678.

Hope this helps!
    Ken Lasko

ucken.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Sunday, February 3, 2013 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, February 4, 2013 10:22 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:38 PM
  • My guess is the Lync Client is seeing the leading 1 and then 10 digits so its assuming it's a North America call and formatting it like it would in the US/Canada.  One thing you could try is to change the calling number from +11 digits to +13 digits (including the country code).  You can do this one of two ways.

1. If the number being sent to Lync DOES NOT have a leading plus on it already, your dial-plan controls both calling and called number normalization.  So you could create a pool dial plan, selecting the PSTN Gateway IP/FQDN as the pool, and create a normalization rule to take the 11 digits and turn it into 13 digits.  You will need to put a little logic in there to make sure that you don't do this to all numbers.

2. If the number is coming to Lync with a + on it already, than Lync will assume it's already normalized and not do anything with the number.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if it will format it exactly as you have listed above (the +55 (11) 9-xxxx-xxxx format).  It may just come down as +55119xxxxxxxx instead.  Hopefully that makes sense and helps you on the right path.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM, Blog - www.masteringlync.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:18 PM
  • A user dial plan will not normalize inbound calls.  You need to create a pool dial plan and select the gateway you have defined and place the normalize the rules there - not a user dial plan.

Also you need to make sure that the upstream PBX is not sending the numbers to you with a + already - as it will be considered normalized already if it comes to Lync with a +.

Thanks,

Richard

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• My guess is the Lync Client is seeing the leading 1 and then 10 digits so its assuming it's a North America call and formatting it like it would in the US/Canada.  One thing you could try is to change the calling number from +11 digits to +13 digits (including the country code).  You can do this one of two ways.

1. If the number being sent to Lync DOES NOT have a leading plus on it already, your dial-plan controls both calling and called number normalization.  So you could create a pool dial plan, selecting the PSTN Gateway IP/FQDN as the pool, and create a normalization rule to take the 11 digits and turn it into 13 digits.  You will need to put a little logic in there to make sure that you don't do this to all numbers.

2. If the number is coming to Lync with a + on it already, than Lync will assume it's already normalized and not do anything with the number.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if it will format it exactly as you have listed above (the +55 (11) 9-xxxx-xxxx format).  It may just come down as +55119xxxxxxxx instead.  Hopefully that makes sense and helps you on the right path.

Thanks,

Richard

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:18 PM
  • I think you should check the normalization rule in your dial plan in Lync control panel. It is likely someone changed or modified the rule.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Hey Mauricio,

If you go to Voice Routing - Dial Plan in the Lync Control Panel, you'll see at least one dial plan.  If you have just one, it will be called Global.  If you have more than one, there will likely be a site-level dial plan called whatever
    you called your Lync site in the Topology Builder.  If you just have Global, edit that one.  If you have more than one, edit the site one.  From what you're describing, I suspect you only have the Global one.

In there will be at least one normalization rule.  By default in Lync 2010, there is a Prefix All normalization rule.  It takes any 11-digit number and just sticks a + in front of it.  The Lync client then treats it as a North American number and formats it like you describe. 

It seems as though your PSTN provider is sending your numbers as 11-digits already.  So, you just need to modify the Prefix All normalization rule to add a +55 to the beginning of the number, like this:

Now, the number will appear correctly in Lync.  Unfortunately, it won't format it as you described earlier.  It will just appear in Lync as +5511912345678.

Hope this helps!
    Ken Lasko

ucken.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Hello guys! First of all, thanks for your attention! (:

Well, I did exactly what you told me, Ken.

- I created an User Dial Plan and associated it to my user;

- Tried to call to a 11-digit number;

- Lync inserted the +55 digits.

However, it seems that it only works for calls that I make. When I receive a call, the number displayed is +1(1xx) xxx-xxxx.

I'm sorry if there's a gap in my knowledge, but, isn't Dial Plan just for outbound calls? Shouldn't be a place where I can normalize the incoming call number?

Thanks again!

Best regards!

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:19 PM
  • A user dial plan will not normalize inbound calls.  You need to create a pool dial plan and select the gateway you have defined and place the normalize the rules there - not a user dial plan.

Also you need to make sure that the upstream PBX is not sending the numbers to you with a + already - as it will be considered normalized already if it comes to Lync with a +.

Thanks,

Richard

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hello guys! I'm sorry about the late response!

Your answers were very clear and helped me a lot!

Best regards!

Monday, February 4, 2013 7:20 PM