none
how can I change my own link local ipv6 adress on Windows 10?

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience, we could designate a IPv6 normal address for the network interface by manual as below.

For routing in IPv6, you will normally use the link local address of the router as gateway, link local addresses are a really necessary part of IPv6, without link local addresses, man features of IPv6 will not work.

With IPv6, link local addresses are more important: with IPv6, link local addresses are the first ip addresses assigned to every network interface (the lower 64 bits of the address will be the "interface id", which normally depends on the MAC address, if the interface id is built as EUI64).

Link local addresses in IPv6 are taken from fe80::/10, and they will be needed for neighbor discovery (which is the equivalent of arp with IPv4 but provides also other things like router advertisement).

In IPv6, it is not allowed to route link local addresses (and no router will forward packets with such addresses as source or destination address).

Every ipv6 network interface has a link local address (and may have one or more global unique unicast addresses, but only one link local address). Link local addresses in IPv4 are not very important in most cases, link local addresses in IPv6 are absolutely necessary.

Reference link:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/105286

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you.  If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 25, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provide was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 28, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, July 2, 2018 2:29 PM