power monitor for Windows 8.1 OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few Linx 10 tablets running Windows 8.1 that I'm using for a specific task for my company. This task requires the tablets to stay on 24/7 plugged in AC mains. Some of the tablets are working absolutely fine but the others have been switching off quite regularly. After having tested everything I could think of e.g. power settings, Registry keys (disabling connected standby for instance), I have come to a conclusion that this might be caused by the difference in the amount of power running through the chargers from the mains into the tablets. The tablets are mounted on to the wall and because the power outlet is a few meters away from the location of the tablets, we had to use extended power cables to charge the tablets, so not using the original chargers. 

As such, i have been searching for an application that monitors the amount of power that goes into the tablets? I have used the command line powercfg/batteryreport, however this doesn't give me the information I need. Is anyone in here aware of an app that monitors power on Windows 8 OS?

Many Thanks.  

Friday, March 11, 2016 9:28 AM

Answers

• Rick_Li thanks for your response. Just tried Powercfg/energy and that doesn't give me enough either.

However, I have found a battery monitoring tool called BatteryMon which i have installed on one of the tablets. This gives a lot of detail about battery status of the tablet, things like battery source, capacity rate, capacity drop etc. It also creates logs of this information and saves to a folder that you can specify yourself. This should help me for now, because if I find a tablet switching off on full battery then it's definitely a hardware issue. 

Hope this will be useful to you.

Regards,

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi f1925

“that monitors the amount of power that goes into the tablets”

Based on your description, I think this is more likely a hardware layer issue.

If the “powercfg/batteryreport” won`t give the needed information. Another parameter is “powercfg /energy” to get an energy report. I hope it will be useful. As far as I know, the only power management tool included in the Windows system is the “powercfg” command line. If you have got any other tools to resolve the issue and share it here, we would appreciate it very much.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Rick_Li thanks for your response. Just tried Powercfg/energy and that doesn't give me enough either.

However, I have found a battery monitoring tool called BatteryMon which i have installed on one of the tablets. This gives a lot of detail about battery status of the tablet, things like battery source, capacity rate, capacity drop etc. It also creates logs of this information and saves to a folder that you can specify yourself. This should help me for now, because if I find a tablet switching off on full battery then it's definitely a hardware issue. 

Hope this will be useful to you.

Regards,

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:36 AM