Problems running PAS on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have installed PAS on Windows Server 2008.  The installation completed without errors.  When I try the URL for PAS I get the error message below.  ASP and Server Side includes have been enabled.  Any idea on how to get this up and running?  Jeff

Active Server Pages error '00000000'

Create object failed

?

An error occurred while creating object 'AccessMgr'.

Create object failed

?

Create object failed

?

Create object failed

?

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ae'

Class doesn't support Automation: 'AccessMgr'

/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/PAS/global.asa, line 84

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

This particular message is usually caused by an incomplete PAS installation on a 64bit operating system.  The only requirements that I am aware of with Server 2008 is that IIS 7 and its metabase be run in IIS 6 compatibility mode, so try these steps:

Uninstall PAS, log off the machine and back on as the machine's built-in local Administrator. I understand that you're probably logged in as a domain user that has local admin rights when installing but for some reason when it comes to an x64 installation it needs to be the local machine admin. Then run the PAS installation once again but BEFORE rebooting, find the PInitx64.bat file under \Inetpub\wwwroot\PAS\x64extra folder and run it. This .bat file is only present immediately after the installation and before rebooting. Once you reboot the file disappears. Then reset IIS and reboot, now PAS should function accordingly.

Hopefully this will get you going,

Bob

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:24 PM
  •  

I tried your steps but it did not work.  Since I'm using a virtual machine on a laptop I'm in 32 bit mode.  I did find a message in the event log indicating that PoolMgr.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\ProClarity\Server failed to register.

I tried to manually register PoolMgr.dll using regsvr32 and received the following error message:

The module "PoolMgr.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x800703f2.

Any idea on why this would happen.

Jeff

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

You'll want to open a command prompt with elevated privileges to run regsvr32.exe

hth

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Sorry to hear that didn't resolve the issue Jeff.  You may also want to run the ProClarity Diagnostic Tool which is located in the ProClarity program group and look for any other derogatory messages, in case there were issues registering any other dlls assuming that you are able to get regsvr32 to function.  You will also want to reset IIS once you have successfully registered the dll.

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:38 PM
  •  

Based on some reserach I did I found out that there is a potential compatability error between Vista (in this case Windows Server 2008) and the dll.  Details at: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1066829&SiteID=1  To make a long story short it seems the Vista/Windows server 2008 prevents RegSevValue from modifying system values.  To get around this I modified the registry key at: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib, value of 'Configuration Flags' to have a value of 10000.

This enabled me to register the control.  At this point I did an iisreset and tried again.  I failed with the same error message.

The ProClarity Diagnostic tool looked pretty good.  The only things that looked iffy were some file not founds.  I'm not sure if any of these are critical.:

Chart Version Information
    ChartFX.ClientServer.Annotation.dll:- File Not Found - 
    ChartFX.ClientServer.Borders.dll:- File Not Found - 
    ChartFX.ClientServer.CategBar.dll:- File Not Found - 
    ChartFX.ClientServer.Core.dll:- File Not Found - 
    ChartFX.ClientServer.Data.dll:- File Not Found - 

File Version Information
    MSXML.DLL            :- File Not Found - 
    MSXML3.DLL           :8.100.1043.0       
    MSXML3R.DLL          :8.20.8730.1        
    MSXML4.DLL           :4.10.9404.0        
    MSXML4R.DLL          :4.10.9404.0        
    MSXML6.DLL           :6.20.1076.0        
    MSXML6R.DLL          :6.00.3883.0        
    OLEAUT32.DLL         :6.0.6001.18000     
    OLEPRO32.DLL         :6.0.6001.18000     
    STDOLE2.TLB          :6.0.6000.16386     
    ASYCFILT.DLL         :6.0.6000.16386     
    MSVCRT.DLL           :7.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    MSVCP70.DLL          :- File Not Found - 
    MSVCR70.DLL          :- File Not Found - 
    MSVCP71.DLL          :- File Not Found - 
    MSVCR71.DLL          :- File Not Found - 
    MSVCP80.DLL          :- File Not Found - 
    MSVCR80.DLL          :- File Not Found - 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I can't think that it would hurt to have those files where the Diagnostic Tool is looking for them.  You should be able to locate them in the PAS installation package, then subsequently copy them to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ProClarity\Server, then register them, rerun the Diagnostic Tool to ensure that it finds them, then retest to see if your PAS will render.  If they are already at this location, perhaps this is a rights issue in which case we'll need to verify which rights which users have on that directory.

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Hm, I am using ASP classic a lot and with many components of my own and I got the same problem with various COM objects when creating them in the global.asa in order to put them in the static collection of the Application or Session obejcts (this is especially regular event when using Application scope). Some other similar problems may occur even outside global.asa, but the error message is usually ore descriptive in this case. Anyway, the point is the reasons for these may vary but are always related to the privileges and the settings of the account used by the application pool. Of course, I assume the COM object itself is ok and has no functional issues on the platform in question (Windows 2003/Vista/Server 2008).

The general solution to these is fiddling with the user account of the application pool or running the application pool used by your WEB site with another identity. Usually running it as "local system" does the job, but be aware that any security hole you may leave in the application will put the server in more danger this way. So, the best way is to check if this works - better create a new application pool that uses the local system account identity and assign it to your application. If that solves the problem spare some time to investigate deeper and find out what is actually needed so that you can create/adjust an user account for your application pool and avoid this radical step.

I am talking about wide variety of components affected by some new security features and new behaviour of IIS for which you can receive such an error, so I cannot be speicifc, but the problems that cause the failure may vary from insufficient access rights to the DLL file itself to such, often forgotten, things like full access rights to the temporary directory for the application's pool account - it all depends on the component, what it does and when it does it. just to illustrate a bizzare scenario - imagine a component that has good use of a temporary fille allocated for the object's life time, if the object attempts to allocate the file during its initialization its creation would fail obviously.

Friday, August 1, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Thanks for the post, Michael.  We have been spending a lot of time testing PAS with Windows Server 2008 and are making progress, but unfortunately don't have a complete answer as of yet.  We are hopeful to have this by late fall of this year at the latest.  As you mention, running the application pool with "LocalSystem" privileges will enable PAS to work correctly, but we of course do not recommend that and are investigating the specifics necessary to run PAS safely and securely on Windows Server 2008 and IIS 7.  We'll be sure to update this site when we have that information.  Thanks again for your input.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Do we have an answer for this issue?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:06 PM
  • WinServer08 and 08R2 and fully supported for the ProClarity platform.  As part of the install for PAS, additional configuration is required along with SP3.  Please see these links for detailed steps:

http://office.microsoft.com/download/afile.aspx?AssetID=AM103875331033

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e6b784a8-e7c2-4e27-9d98-41e2f2fd7467

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 4:49 PM