none
Folder redirection does not work as expected

Question

• Hi

We have a strange issue - we have Home folder in user profiles set as H: drive mapped to \\servername\Home$\%username% and mapped fine, and folder redirection set via Group Policy as "Setting: Redirect everyonce folder to the same location" and "Target folder location: Redirect to the user`s home folder.

All PCs are windows 7, domain is windows 2008 and 2012

But folder redirection creates "Documents" folder under \\servername\Home$ (rather then under \\servername\home$\username) and redirect into that folder.
    Anybody had same issue?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hello ,

Thanks for your post.

According to my knowledge, we could refer to the following link to check the settings:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/83883-configure-user-home-folders-and-folder-redirection

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information could help you. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Already been there, all set as per that article

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 12:07 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on my test, it works fine by following the steps from the link that I gave you before.

I suggest you to check each setting to prevent error.

In addition, in order to work further, could you please check the results of Group Policy by use the Group Policy Results snap-in in Group Policy Management console or run command “gpresult /h c:\result.html” on machine which been applied the GPO.

If possible, please provide some screenshots of Group Policy result and the current Group Policy settings.

Note: Please remember to hide the sensitive information as our forum is an opened platform.

Hope above information could help you. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:00 AM
  • So the group policy looks ok.

But if I go to the server D:\Home folder which is shared as Home$, there is no D:\Home\User.Name folder, but there is folder "Documents" which properties show that its shared as \\Server\Home$\UserName.

If I try applying this policy to another user, it creates another "Documents" folder on a server under D:\Home\ (strange that it allows to have few folder with the same name) and Sharing properties of the folder shows it is shared as \\Server\Home$\AnotherUser, but if I click "Advanced Sharing", "Share this folder" is not ticked.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

According to your description, I think it is because you used Home $ in the path.

We could not use variables in the path.

During my test, I create a folder named sharing in the D drive. And it works fine.

please try to add the sharing path of the D disk in the path like following picture.

Hope above information could help you.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Friday, July 13, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Home$ is not a variable, $ at the end means its a hidden share

And it doesnt explain why it creates another "Documents" folder rather than folder with user name and haw can folders with the same name be created

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I think what you need is in the following article.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2008/06/30/automatic-creation-of-user-folders-for-home-roaming-profile-and-redirected-folders/

In this article, he used “$” symbol in the share name.

In addition, I found an issue about “Hidden share home$ and users$ conflict” for a reference.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/20ec0332-95e6-47a8-87ad-77eb63baccab/hidden-share-home-and-users-conflict?forum=w7itprosecurity

Hope above information could help you.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:14 AM