Newbie question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a newbie in sharepoint, I did install the sharepoint, and configure the first web Application and first site collection, here goes the newbie question, what is should I do next? we want some users beable to access this site to do so should I fisrt configure;

1. User Profile Service administration.

2. Configure profile synchronization.

Could someone direct me to some kind of artical on this?

Thanks

I

Shahin
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• True. Members have Contribute level, visitors have Read ... etc. It is not recommended to edit the permission levels (full control, design, contribute, ...). You can add 'SharePoint Groups' to the groups list (site-collection-members, site-collection-visitors .. etc) and then can add/remove AD users or AD groups to these SharePoint groups as needed. You can also assign ready permission levels to these groups or customize permissions (or make copies of permission levels and adjust to make your own levels).

AK

• Marked as answer by Shahin Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:37 AM

All replies

• Neither is needed for user access to site collection. You may have to analyze your business environment to decide what (sub)sites or site templates to use and who should get access to what.

Your site collection should have a set of groups (under site actions - site permissions) like site-collection-name members, site-collection-name visitors, .. etc.

You can add users of AD groups to these to determine access. You do need to read about permission inheritance and permission levels.
    AK

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replay,

I did open the site tha I created and login with Admin and went to Site Acction-Site permission there I can see some groups link mydominvisitors and mydoains members and hier I can add my domain users to these groups or create new groups is here the correct place to add users?

thanks

Shahin

Then what is the users profiles for?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:31 AM
  • True. Members have Contribute level, visitors have Read ... etc. It is not recommended to edit the permission levels (full control, design, contribute, ...). You can add 'SharePoint Groups' to the groups list (site-collection-members, site-collection-visitors .. etc) and then can add/remove AD users or AD groups to these SharePoint groups as needed. You can also assign ready permission levels to these groups or customize permissions (or make copies of permission levels and adjust to make your own levels).

AK

• Marked as answer by Shahin Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:37 AM
  • Thanks AK64,

your info was very helpful

Shahin
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:53 AM