Exchange 2010 and Store.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 and experience high memory utilization.  Has a fixed been issued from Microsoft to stop the store.exe from eating up all the RAM?

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/08/06/449484.aspx

The above link is chock full of great info about why store.exe will consume tons of RAM.  I'll sum up:

store.exe no longer has a database cache limit, it will consume all RAM avaliable minus 2GB approximatly.  It monitors the system itself and gives memory back to the system as it's needed.  It's dynamic.  IE: It's normal in Exchange 2007/10 to see store.exe eating up most RAM, it'll give it back if it needs to.

Read the link if you want the big huge in-indepth answer.

Jason

If it was helpful, vote for it. If it answered your question, mark it as answered. Small thing to do for free help from a strong community :)
    • Proposed as answer by TWHarrington Monday, July 26, 2010 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:24 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Exchange 2007/2010 is designed to take up as much memory as it has.  This is normal.  This improves performance by caching in memory and not having to do disk I/O.  This is by design.  There is a reg hack to cap off memory usage, but I would not recommend it.  The more RAM, the better the performance.  Reference links:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/08/06/449484.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/0e400b44-4f2f-48a4-bb2a-ed135189cb07

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/f8a478f4-6e6d-4a9f-98e4-9936ca7c479a

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/62520109-d836-45dc-aac9-5cc9a54f9bac

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by TWHarrington Monday, July 26, 2010 9:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:24 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:35 PM
  • I need a way to limit the amount of memory taken by exchange 2010 on server 2008. Right now there seems like no way to do it. This system is flawed, exchange does not give back memory when needed all the time. Our exchange 2010 vm runs horribly and crashes due to out of memory issues quite often. Other programs says the same thing.

From my research on this i am not alone, tons of people are reporting the same issue. Sure more ram it takes the better preformance but when the rest of the server cant run worth crap then what good is that? But hey this is Microsoft, I should be used to extremely disappointing server products by now..

Monday, April 4, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Well, the first thing to say is that Exchange does give back memory to the OS and any other apps, when requested. Whether it gives all of what it has back, or at least enough of it to your satisfaction, is another matter. The second thing to say is that there are methods to limit memory utilization. There are a few articles that you can Google for and implement. They’re not ideal and require you to monitor things and really you shouldn’t have to.

Exchange 2010 runs perfectly inside a VM so what I would recommend is that you raise a support case with one of two people; Microsoft (for Exchange) or the Hypervisor vendor. If that’s Hyper-V then you’re in a better position since it’s the same vendor.

Are you running anti-virus or other agent driven apps/utilities/tools on the mailbox servers? They are the usual suspects for Exchange being blamed when something isn’t working optimally. Perhaps take a look at that and let us know about that.

"kylep84" wrote in message news:446071d1-74c3-4d2f-aaf2-439e43841526...

I need a way to limit the amount of memory taken by exchange 2010 on server 2008. Right now there seems like no way to do it. This system is flawed, exchange does not give back memory when needed all the time. Our exchange 2010 vm runs horribly and crashes due to out of memory issues quite often. Other programs says the same thing.

From my research on this i am not alone, tons of people are reporting the same issue. Sure more ram it takes the better preformance but when the rest of the server cant run worth crap then what good is that? But hey this is Microsoft, I should be used to extremely disappointing server products by now..

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I found how to limit the ram via ADSI edit. Only other thing running on the server is Trend serverprotect for antivirus.

We use backupexec 12.5 to back up the server/mailboxes and that complains about not enough memory sometimes. If we stop exchange services then the problem goes away. For now I have increased the vm's memory by 3 more GB to see if that will help.

Monday, April 4, 2011 6:16 PM
  • I too have the same problem with store.exe eating up memory.

Below is the server config:

• Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64bit
    • 12 GB Ram
    • HyperV - 2 Virtual
    • Virtual 1 - 1 GB - Virtual server only created and powered on not used
    • Virtual 2 - 2 GB - Virtual server only created and powered on not used
    • Exchange 2010 on Physical server
    • less than 10 users on exchange
    • Current Mail box per user - approx 3 GB
    • AV - Nod32
    • BES Express on Physical server

When I reboot the server the Memory usage is around 60% but slowly store.exe starts to eat the memory and finally it reaches 98% and then server hangs. This is so regular that sometimes I have to reboot the server 3 or 4 times a week.

BTW, I tried to limit the memory usage to 3GB via ADSI after googling but store.exe keeps on using and there was no use making this change.

ADSI change: msExchESEParamCacheSizeMax = 393216 

Can someone please please help me.

Regards

J

Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

Here is what is happening on my server. Store.exe was using 500 mb of memory in the morning. Users logged in to the network its fine. But almost an hour later, store.exe starts to use 5gb of ram and the memory reaches 90 % and stays at 90 percent.

I have turned off both Virtual servers so that the server will get the entire 12 gb memory and now its using 11 GB og memory. Can anyone please please help me. 

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:43 AM
  • As per

http://eightwone.com/2011/04/06/limiting-exchange-2010-sp1-database-cache/

On Exchange 2010 SP1, you need to set msExchESEparamCacheSizeMax and also msExchESEparamCacheSizeMin.

If you set only msExchESEparamCacheSizeMax, Exchange will simply ignore it.

bye,

Dario Palermo
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi guys, very interesting thread.

Personally I've been plagued by store.exe for years and with each new release of Exchange STORE.EXE still has the same characteristics.

My observations has been:

- STORE.EXE will consume nearly all available RAM. The 'give it back when requested' is a Memory Fault trigger from the VMM (that another app or other part of the OS requests memory) and STORE.EXE will 'clean up' its memory. The issue with this is that the requesting application *has already received 1 out of memory error* - which generally leads to failure.

(SQL Server is another one that will consume unbounded memory - but we can limit this guy)

I have several questions around the application design approach 'consume all the memory you can' cause it's faster - how much memory is too much? (non-paged pooled RAM - this is the good stuff, not the pagefile watered down stuff). IIS for e.g. serves many numbers of concurrent requests in a timely manner without requiring 1TB of RAM to do it.

It is possible to built high performance services/apps/systems without huge memory overheads.

Imagine if we all developed apps that took this approach, "we'll just give RAM back when not needed". Machines would grind to a halt.

Whilst I'm not an Exchange expert (but spent too much time in this space), other Microsoft technologies such as Windows Server AppFabric Cache inspect the amount of free/used RAM on the machine to see if it's 'overloaded' and fails horribly when a threshold is reached. (non configurable)

So caching screams with warnings all over the place, but it has no way of knowing that STORE.EXE was just keeping a spare 10GB hidden for the winter and if someone really asked nicely, it could give it back.

(Consequently the MS recommendation is not to install AppFabric Cache on a machine that STORE.EXE is running on :| )

------- OK onto 'A' solution -------

- Install "Windows System Resource Monitor" through 'add feature'

- configure the memory + CPU limits around STORE.EXE.

- WSRM will only allow STORE.EXE to 'see' that amount of space.

The machine is back at peace....

Mick.

Mick Badran - http://blogs.breezetraining.com.au/mickb
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:35 AM
  • this is a netural behaviour of the Exchange server, i found workout for the same in my lab environemt so it's upto you.

1) adjust best performance setting.

2) increase Virtual Memory paging File to maximum in C:\ Drive and Set Automatic in all rest of Partitions.

hope this will help.

Gaurang

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:27 AM