none
Hebrew Wiki Plan RRS feed

All replies

• I think it will be OK for the first article in Hebrew in WiKi. It is also OK to publish in WiKi in English. So, I'd say - go for it.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:25 AM
  • i will post something soon probably
    next Weekend

* It was part of a discussion about posting in WIKI that Ed Price opened and was referred to him as well :-)
    it was not intended to be a separate post. Too bad the message was separated. Chances that he will watch it scale down I guess.

** and i don't understand why this post was move here. it have nothing to do with Suggestions or Feedback for the Forums. it was talking about the WIKI. this is part of this THREAD:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e312ad0-e1db-4575-a44d-3033202263b3/are-you-a-technology-guru-show-us-your-solutions-and-become-the-tsql-guru-for-june-2013

signature

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:53 AM
  • I moved this now to TechNet WiKi discussion forum as the question is about WiKi.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:07 PM
  • This is better place as this is a Wiki discussion and not Feedback for the Forums :-)

signature

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:23 PM
  • I note that Hebrew is in the list of "Primary localization languages" in this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/364.wiki-non-english-language-title-guidelines.aspx

with the code he-IL. The title should have (he-IL) at the end, and the article should include the tag he-IL.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Richard Mueller, this is out context thread...

it is all been written on the original thread... 
    but thanks for trying to help :-)
    i just wanted 2 person's responses according to the whole thread, hoping that Ed Price will be one of them since he open the thread.

better to lock this thread now!
    It has no meaning by itself

* A wise man once said: 
    A half-truth is worse than a lie

Another analogy: 

At Court also we must commit to tell only the truth but more then that the whole truth :-)

update: More  analogies :-)

You can not cut animal into small pieces and expect them all to live, just as if you cut a discussion into separate parts, and use each part in a separate location then you do not get a 10 logical discussions.

10 individuals do not have the ability of a group with 10 partners, like 10 post in a thread are a discussion but 10 separate post can be 10 Meaningless threads.

* i might think of more analogies...

signature

Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:18 PM
  • I would love to hear more context on this discussion and how this turns out.

Patris_70 created a good number of Persian articles on the Wiki, and getting correct formatting of bidi text was indeed challenging. Even manually inserting direction markers directly in the HTML code did not fix every issue as articles were inheriting text direction from the English Wiki "frame". Very curious to hear other feedback. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/119c8fc4-ceac-4e0c-9e6d-c76b8a90deb6/farsipersian-language-problem-with-wiki-editor

Thanks
    Bruno

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:12 AM
  • are you talking about the RTL/LTR buttons?

If so then the problem is that Microsoft don't even show the ability to copy and past a full solution code given to them some weeks ago!

this is the full explanation on adding RTL/LTR buttons. we all want to see Microsoft use it. please vote there and help us to help all RTL editors:

first thread about this: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/he-IL/01976659-32bc-42a5-a01e-cbdd08ea5ec7/dont-forget-to-check-the-rtl-looks-like-in-the-hebrew-forums

A remainder (and again no responses from Microsoft): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/he-IL/83adab3c-f246-49c8-b737-b0dfe1cbb635/rtlltr-buttons

no one response to the thread!
    and it was Microsoft Developer (Bryant Hawthorne) who ask this help! i feel like i just wasted my time write to them. 

* This is not the first time i get no response from Microsot/Ed Price! actually i did not get any response from Ed Price EVER. not by mail and not in the forum as i recall, and to think that i am a Moderator (at the Hebrew forums) and getting no response it really make you think about others. i am talking about the Microsoft English interface or the developers since i do know personally the Hebrew interface's owner and the others microsoft Israel team and they do great job. If i need them i can just phone them at home or tell them the next time i see them :-)

** this is part of why i did not start publish at Microsoft WIKI.

signature

Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Hi Ronen, this seemed like a worthy discussion but hard to follow because it got split. I just wanted to get context so others in this forum can understand.

To sum up

Ronen proposed a solution (details on DNN implementation) that adds buttons in the interface of the Telerik editor (used to edit forum posts and wiki articles) for insertion of LTR/RTL markers. This would help solve the common issue of direction when there is a mix of LTR (English, code, etc) and RTL (Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, etc) text. An example of the problem has been raised by Patris_70 discussed (details). The solution would not require manually adding these marker in the HTML code (current solution).

The open questions are
    (i) if/when this can be implemented and
    (ii) in the case of the Wiki, the insertion of markers in the Editor (either manual or via the proposed buttons) could solve issue in the body of the article, but not in Title or Tags since these are entered via a plain text control.
    ----

Ed is usually very good at following up so will check with him.

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for the response and the summary :-)

(iii) You forgot just one small issue that perhaps is not related to the practical matter but is important: Whoever starts Threads should check responses. Whoever gets help or just someone try to help him, should at least honor him and respond (thanks can be nice). By the way this is roughly what it says in my signature. This is elementary politeness.

Especially Microsoft and Microsoft employees should kept this procedure if we want others to kept it and they did not, fortiori if you open a forum for 'Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums'  then you should respond to suggestions (say that you like /don't like it but say something).

The 2 open points you described are really the big practicals questions right now :-)

By the way about the second point: If you go to my blog you can see how I chose to confront the same problem. My blogging interface also has the same state: title is in clean text and content writing with Telerik Editor. The solution I chose was to write the titles in English and the content (body) using my RTL/LTR buttons.

signature

Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Fair point, thanks. Not sure what happened here but I'm sure no one meant any disrespect.
    I've subscribed to this thread, so feel free to use to get in touch.
    Thanks
    Bruno  

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hey Pitauch, I'm here. I open myself up to receive emails, but the truth is that I can't catch them all (it became too big with too many people wanting help). I certainly try though. I'll see if I can find yours. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • I note that Hebrew is in the list of "Primary localization languages" in this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/364.wiki-non-english-language-title-guidelines.aspx

with the code he-IL. The title should have (he-IL) at the end, and the article should include the tag he-IL.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Richard is right. If you want to translate any of your English articles into Hebrew, you can use the process Richard linked to.

Naomi is right that you can add the article into English (does the Telerik Editor have something to do with Microsoft technology? -- Like can you use this trick on the Microsoft forums?).

Thanks for all your contributions! I'm sorry for not noticing your thread here. As it got moved around, it was hard to find! Bruno helped me find it. Thanks, Bruno!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:25 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed
    Thanks for the response, and Thanks Bruno for your help and response.

1. Telerik editor is not Microsoft's technology, but is used by Microsoft all over Microsoft's technology. This is the Editor in the WIKI and here in the Forums interface. I wrote the blog specifically for the development team of the forums/wiki as part of a discussion with Bryant Hawthorne on adding buttons for RTL/LTR on the forums and the wiki as well (and in most of the web development demos and guides at http://asp.net you can use it).

so YES YOU CAN AND SHOULD USE IT ON THE FORUM and this is why i wrote it :-) (by "you" i mean the developing team and not the users).

2. By the way as i said, I have tried to contact you several times in the past without success, including e-mail sent to you (on May 5) and a week later I sent a message via your blog and even post a message at the Moderator’s Forum (I deleted it after two weeks with out response but you can see it). It is no longer relevant as I got an answer from someone else.

I understand it is difficult to keep track of all the forums and posts, Especially after one thread Slaughtered in small pieces and split into 20 threads all over the forums. but sometimes there is need/wish to contact you as the owner :-)

3. I have seen Naomi and Bruno responses/answers and i respond to them :-)

4. I have seen this link (Naomi post it as response to me). and i was thinking on starting a Hebrew Team or just start write there myself. If I decide to I should know that I have a way to contact the person in charge (you).

In conclusion, i hope the RTL/LTR butoons will be added to the forum/wiki interfaces, and i will think on start writing in the wiki :-)

again, thanks for the response

signature

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:05 AM
  • i don't want help i wanted to give help!
    i am here on the forum only to help and support :-)

i responded down in the end of the thread (currently end)

signature

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Ronen,

Did you write TechNet articles already? If not, I suggest to start. You can start in English or you can start in Hebrew - your choice.

In English you can start from participating in the TechNet Guru Contribution contest.

See here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17641.technet-guru-contributions.aspx

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hi pituach,

Just a question, can you provide a online link that I test with Farsi/Persian language?

I mean, I will type and show what happens with Farsi/Persian language.

Regards

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:42 AM
  • Hi all (Ed, Naomi, Patris)

Give me a second to breathe :-)
    I just returned after the walk with the dog a minute ago and i have not had my coffee yet. i will answer you all here in one long response.

You know that Office 3013 is not suitable for installation on the XP system?
    * I downloaded the file from MSDN (took a few hours because of the low speed of the download): en_visio_professional_2013_x86_x64_dvd_1134691.iso
    * I have made Uninstall of the version I had on the laptop
    * I start to install the newer version and I got a message that the version does not fit in XP :-(

Now I need to download the older version of Office again and reinstall the software. It will take several hours to download it (i will do it at night).

Ed / Naomi

i usually write blogs on the weekend. in Israel that mean friday or saterday. so give me 2-3 days to see what i can do.

When SQL2012 version came we got some new functions based on CLR behind the scenes (like FORMAT). One of the things I did right away was to develop similar functions for previous versions. Now it is time for SQL2014 new features. One of the new features of SQL2014 is INMEMORY ELEMENTS. Why not do something similar in previous versions using CLR?

my current blog is about implementing sql 2014 in-memory element on older version of SQL (using CLR). There are many advantage and disadvantages and above all a lot of problems related to the management of these elements and working with them. I'll write about that and more Depending on the time and strength. the first very short draft of the Hebrew version is already on the air including all the codes, as it start as an answer to a question on MSDN forum, but the blog is still under editing). Further I intend to publish this article on wiki

Parallel to the Hebrew version this time I wrote an English version, but I probably need serious help in proofreading because my English is not enough. Naomi, May I send you a Word document for review before it's published?!? if so, i need your mail ( write here or just send me a blank mail)

i need the office word to write :-(
    this will be done next (the installation)

Naomi / Paris

My name is ronen, pituach is just a nick name (as naomi know Hebrew you know this mean "developer" in Hebrew) :-)

Unfortunately I can not give access to the current system for security reasons. The site which I publish blogs is base on very very very old DNN version. All the codes I wrote more than 5-6 years ago (it took me a while to remember what I did). In any case the system has serious security issues fixed on newer versions of DNN. So I can not allow direct access to edit on the current system (I eliminated the possibility of responses to blogs because of it), but give me time to find for you a way to work with it or see it on working (maybe i will just copy the virtual machine and let you enter the blog on temporary VM ?!? but it will take some time to configure all including the DNS). follow this thread and i will try to get into it and post here when done.My Telerik Buttons

signature

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Great to see this discussion. I took the liberty of starting an article on authoring in bidi languages on the wiki (mostly based on earlier forum discussion) here. Will try to keep up-to-date with latest, but contributions are VERY welcome!

Bruno

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hi Ed
    Thanks for the response, and Thanks Bruno for your help and response.

1. Telerik editor is not Microsoft's technology, but is used by Microsoft all over Microsoft's technology. This is the Editor in the WIKI and here in the Forums interface. I wrote the blog specifically for the development team of the forums/wiki as part of a discussion with Bryant Hawthorne on adding buttons for RTL/LTR on the forums and the wiki as well (and in most of the web development demos and guides at http://asp.net you can use it).

so YES YOU CAN AND SHOULD USE IT ON THE FORUM and this is why i wrote it :-) (by "you" i mean the developing team and not the users).

2. By the way as i said, I have tried to contact you several times in the past without success, including e-mail sent to you (on May 5) and a week later I sent a message via your blog and even post a message at the Moderator’s Forum (I deleted it after two weeks with out response but you can see it). It is no longer relevant as I got an answer from someone else.

I understand it is difficult to keep track of all the forums and posts, Especially after one thread Slaughtered in small pieces and split into 20 threads all over the forums. but sometimes there is need/wish to contact you as the owner :-)

3. I have seen Naomi and Bruno responses/answers and i respond to them :-)

4. I have seen this link (Naomi post it as response to me). and i was thinking on starting a Hebrew Team or just start write there myself. If I decide to I should know that I have a way to contact the person in charge (you).

In conclusion, i hope the RTL/LTR butoons will be added to the forum/wiki interfaces, and i will think on start writing in the wiki :-)

again, thanks for the response

signature

Well, if you're writing to the development team, then it shouldn't be posted on the Wiki. It's not something that a customer of Microsoft (like a developer) can use with Microsoft technologies. It's specific to help the development team at Microsoft. And you can check with Bryant offline on the specifics of future use of the Telerik Editor, just in case they end up using something else.

Sorry I missed you. I'm not on the Moderators forums. I wander around trying to read everything everyone writes for me, but it doesn't always work out (it's gotten too big, but I still try). One clear way is that I read all the comments on the Wiki Ninjas blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/. And then I make my rounds back to forums like this (case in point; here I am). I missed you on those threads because you replied to them, but then it wasn't applicable to the forum (it was more about Wiki and Forums features), so various mods split and moved your replies... so I kept missing them (as you mentioned, your attempts got splintered around).

Yes, you have the right idea. Patris wants to help you get started writing Hebrew in the Wiki if you need it. Good tips from Naomi as well. We've been wanting some Hebrew content for years now, so that's great!  

The Featured Article topic is for when we build a new version of the Wiki around your language. So for example, we have the Russian Wiki Instance: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/ru-ru/

The steps to get a new language instance of the Wiki look something like this...

(1) Start writing and translating some content for your language. That's what you're doing now. It's fantastic that you can help with this! 

(2) Start inviting other Hebrew contributors (probably from the Forums; looks like you're active there) to also contribute their content.

(3) Check in with us (Bruno and me). We might have a group for you to join around this, and we might be able to get a Hebrew forum started to plan Hebrew content with the community (that's our hope, anyway).

(4) Build out a community of 10-15 regular Hebrew contributors on TNWiki. Let us know how we can help!

(5) We'll work toward trying to get a Hebrew instance of the Wiki built and then try to get the content migrated into it (that's something we're working toward in general).

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:40 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ronen,

Ed / Naomi

i usually write blogs on the weekend. in Israel that mean friday or saterday. so give me 2-3 days to see what i can do.

I take it you're not religious :) I will check your article but I'll be out the whole next week. If you want to publish it earlier, you may go ahead - WiKi is a good thing, everybody can improve articles. I personally have been changing lots of articles lately for small things like grammar and typos.

BTW, Ed, I worked hard this week and it will be a pity if I will not make the XAML blog because I will not be around on Friday (Saturday I don't work anyway, only at night). I hope that all my hard work this week will pay off, but someone can beat me in the days I'm not here to contribute.

Forgot to give my email  it's first letter from my first name, then my whole last name at gmail dot com. You can learn my last name from my blogs (see My blog in my signature)

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Hi Ronen,

Ed / Naomi

I take it you're not religious :) I will check your article but I'll be out the whole next week. If you want to publish it earlier, you may go ahead - WiKi is a good thing, everybody can improve articles. I personally have been changing lots of articles lately for small things like grammar and typos.

thanks, I'll be in touch

signature

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Well, if you're writing to the development team, then it shouldn't be posted on the Wiki. It's not something that a customer of Microsoft (like a developer) can use with Microsoft technologies. It's specific to help the development team at Microsoft. And you can check with Bryant offline on the specifics of future use of the Telerik Editor, just in case they end up using something else.

It is something that a customer of Microsoft (like a developer) can use with Microsoft technologies. as i wrote most of the web samples (both MVC and WebForm technologies) at http://asp.net use Telerik Editor as part of the code. this can add to the examples and to every developer as i used it

i wrote the blog mainly to microsoft developers but i used the code more then 6 years ago AS A DEVELOPER :-). if i needed it then others developers might need it, and they can use it on their development, if they use Telerik Editor :-) any developer use RLT language + Telerik Editor need it actually.

but Time does not stop, These old news... i have posted 2 newer blogs fit to WIKI and as they talk about SQL server so both fit the "TechNet Guru Contribution contest". it is not "how to use LEFT's function" but Slightly more advanced material.

first blog is on editing status as I mentioned above. it is about In-Memory Elements using CLR. it is long and will take me time to end it.

The other blog Following a question that raised today:

Guy Glantser (CEO of Madeira – SQL Server Services) & Matan Yungman (SQL Server DBA at the Microsoft) started new "SQL Server Radio". It might be nice to hear when driving to work...

A few minutes ago I posted a new unplanned blog as an answer to a question they raised, written very quickly and very very very briefly about shrink SQL database during restore. it is very short but i can post it as it is on the wiki since it is written in English :-)

signature

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:40 PM
  • Great to see this discussion. I took the liberty of starting an article on authoring in bidi languages on the wiki (mostly based on earlier forum discussion) here. Will try to keep up-to-date with latest, but contributions are VERY welcome!

Bruno

There are some small inaccuracies in the article. I do not have time to delve into the article, but I added a new paragraph on the relationship between encoding and text direction "Coding & Direction". we need a whole book to write down everything.

signature

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:28 AM
  • Well, if you're writing to the development team, then it shouldn't be posted on the Wiki. It's not something that a customer of Microsoft (like a developer) can use with Microsoft technologies. It's specific to help the development team at Microsoft. And you can check with Bryant offline on the specifics of future use of the Telerik Editor, just in case they end up using something else.

It is something that a customer of Microsoft (like a developer) can use with Microsoft technologies. as i wrote most of the web samples (both MVC and WebForm technologies) at http://asp.net use Telerik Editor as part of the code. this can add to the examples and to every developer as i used it

i wrote the blog mainly to microsoft developers but i used the code more then 6 years ago AS A DEVELOPER :-). if i needed it then others developers might need it, and they can use it on their development, if they use Telerik Editor :-) any developer use RLT language + Telerik Editor need it actually.

but Time does not stop, These old news... i have posted 2 newer blogs fit to WIKI and as they talk about SQL server so both fit the "TechNet Guru Contribution contest". it is not "how to use LEFT's function" but Slightly more advanced material.

first blog is on editing status as I mentioned above. it is about In-Memory Elements using CLR. it is long and will take me time to end it.

The other blog Following a question that raised today:

Guy Glantser (CEO of Madeira – SQL Server Services) & Matan Yungman (SQL Server DBA at the Microsoft) started new "SQL Server Radio". It might be nice to hear when driving to work...

A few minutes ago I posted a new unplanned blog as an answer to a question they raised, written very quickly and very very very briefly about shrink SQL database during restore. it is very short but i can post it as it is on the wiki since it is written in English :-)

signature

Okay. So you're using ASP.NET with the Telerik editor to help developers on their sites? Then, yes, I didn't understand the context. Because you're using ASP.NET with it, it is a Microsoft related topic. Thanks!

Have you added these topics as Wiki articles yet?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:17 PM
    Owner
  • The steps to get a new language instance of the Wiki look something like this...

(1) Start writing and translating some content for your language. That's what you're doing now. It's fantastic that you can help with this! 

(2) Start inviting other Hebrew contributors (probably from the Forums; looks like you're active there) to also contribute their content.

(3) Check in with us (Bruno and me). We might have a group for you to join around this, and we might be able to get a Hebrew forum started to plan Hebrew content with the community (that's our hope, anyway).

(4) Build out a community of 10-15 regular Hebrew contributors on TNWiki. Let us know how we can help!

(5) We'll work toward trying to get a Hebrew instance of the Wiki built and then try to get the content migrated into it (that's something we're working toward in general).

Thanks!

Please note that these steps are sequential. So you would start with #1, do that for awhile, then #2, and so on. Thanks!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:18 PM
    Owner
  • MY FIRST WIKI :-)

shrink SQL database during restore
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18481.shrink-sql-database-during-restore.aspx

Hi Ed

the RTL article will come in his time...
    Firstly my new article on SQL server is on the air...

This will fit the "TechNet Guru Contribution contest" :-)

* Comments, notes, insights, and just feedbacks are welcome from all

signature

Friday, July 12, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi pituach,

Any news about online link that I test with Farsi/Persian language?

Regards

Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:24 PM
  • not realy

i wanted to install a new DNN for a while and i thought that it will help me to open one for you too. i installed a new version, but i found that Telerik editor no longer used as default editor for the DNN system:-)

after this i have to say that i just forgot about you :-(
    sorry

1. why don't you work with an Editor that have a build-in support rtl?
    i can tell you that i like CKEditor:
    http://ckeditor.com/demo#full
    * there is a free version

2. is the Workaround of adding manually direction markers (LTR or RTL) in the HTML code work for you?
    if this code work for you that my explanation mast help as this is what the button do (and you can use ant code). The Button adds around the chosen text any code that you want like this:

<span style="direction:rtl;"> 
    your text
    </span>

3. Please send me a reminder email a few days. Usually on the weekends I have time to play with things that are not work related, but this weekend I've already start working on a long blog (about implantation IN-Memory elements like in the SQL 2014 on older version). For me weekend is Friday-Saturday. So if you send me a reminder on Wednesday-Thursday I'll try to get into it. My email is listed on my site under: About -> Contact Me

again...
    Sorry i forgot

signature

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:50 PM
  • You can check the most up to date version of the steps to get a language started: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18470.wiki-how-to-get-a-new-language-started-or-expanded-on-technet-wiki.aspx

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:32 PM
    Owner