Can't Click on desktop Icons RRS feed

• Question

• After the computer has been running for a while I am no longer able to click on icons. A restart will work or ending explorer.exe BUT THIS IS NOT A FIX. I need something that will prevent this from happening in the future rather than continuous having to work around it. The computer is update, everything runs smoothly and the hard drive is no where close to full (70 GB used of 500 GB). If anyone has any explanation for the cause and the way or a way to fix it AND PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN I am all ears.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:15 PM

All replies

• Try Administrator Tools/Event Viewer/System/Expand the tree/one at a time/locate the Warning-Error given when desktop icon failed/properties/see what the OS says..You might also,open cmd,type: Sfc /Scannow  once its thru,type: CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT  restart pc
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 1:47 AM
  •  

Hi,

Before the issue occurs, did you change anything in this machine? 

Could you find any related error message in event viewer?

To troubleshoot whether the issue is related to a third party service, please check the symptom in a clean boot environment.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

1. Run command as an administartor and run the following commands to fix corrupted system files or components: 
       sfc /scannow 
       Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
       Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
       Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /restoreHealth

2. Reboot the server to make the above steps taking effect.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 25, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.   

Best regards,

Yilia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:20 AM
  • I am having the same problems, yet now with Windows 10?

Is there anyone here to help now?

Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:42 PM
  • I've found the solution. Kill the Edge App.

When I killed the Explorer with task manager, I noticed that the blue background screen showed some sort of rectangle border. As if something was overlaying the desktop.

In the task manager, I noticed the Edge App was apparently active with no CPU usage but with a changing memory percentage. A bug maybe? I killed it and everything has come back to normal.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:18 AM