Disk Level Alert Overrides RRS feed

• Question

• I want to get an alert when a disk gets 20% full (a warning) and then another alert at 10% (a critical).

I see that for XP and 2003 that those are built in, but include the caveat that the disk has to have 2GB left.  How do I override that so that it just does the 10% or 20% part?

Also, the Vista management pack doesn't appear to include those by default, and when I tried to add them (using similar criteria as the XP/2003 rules) I was unable to save my rule because of the alert settings (because of the "high alert threshold" was lower than the "low alert threshold", i.e. backwards of what SCE thinks it should be but what I really believe it should be).

Thanks!
    Robbie
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:47 PM

Answers

• Free Space MB and Free Space % work in tandem in this monitor. The alert is tripped when both thresholds are crossed. To alert only the 20%, you  need to set the Free Space MB to a value that is higher than 20% free space on the largest logical drive in the Vista machines.

For example, for a 100GB drive, setting 20% and 21000MB free would result in an alert at 20% free space.

Make sense?
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:53 AM
  • I think we're on the same page. I want you to set the Free MB value to somethin absurdly large, so the practical threshold that generates the alert is the 20% Free Space.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Robbie,

Please follow these steps to configure the Logical Disk Space monitoring:

1. In the SCE console, navigate to Authoring pane -> Management Pack Objects -> Monitors.

2. Choose Scope "Windows Server 2003 Logical Disk", and in the right pane, expand to Target: Windows Server 2003 Logical Disk -> Entity Health -> Availability -> Logical Disk Availability & Logical Disk Free Space. You can verify the properties.

3. Right-click on Logical Disk Free Space and choose Overrides -> Overrides the monitor -> For all objects for type: Windows Server 2003 Logical Disk.

4. Override the corresponding parameters to the value you want. For example, you can modify the Error % Threshold for System Drivers from 10 to 20.

5. Click Apply and OK.

Note:  These steps use Windows Server 2003 Operating System as an example. You should also repeat the steps for other Operating Systems, such as Windows XP, if you are supervising these machines.

Hope it helps.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Yog,

Thanks so much for your reply!

I've seen this answer in other forum postings and I believe I understand how to override that part.

What I'd like to do is override the requirement that there is only 2GB left on the drive and make it so that I get a warning at 20% free space left and a critical alert at 10% free disk space.

How would I override that requirement?

Also, how do I create this rule for Vista (or, is it already there from the Vista Managment Pack and I'm missing it)?

Thanks again!

Robbie

Friday, September 5, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Hi Robbie,

I think you can just modify the Error % Threshold  to 10 and modify the Warning % Threshold  to 20. If I misunderstood your requirement, please let me know.

For your reference, please refer to a similar thread as follows:

Simple Monitoring and Notifications
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2353747&SiteID=17

For Windows Vista, I didn't find the monitor either. I hope next version of the Windows Vista MP can help us.

Thanks.

Monday, September 8, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Yog,

Thanks for your reply!

I have seen that post before as I was searching the forums for my answer.

I really just want to disable or ignore the 2GB limit of the rule.

For example, if any drive of my SQL box gets too full I'd like to get a warning or critical message after the following (based on each drive's size):

• at 20% I would like a warning message
    • at 10% I would like a critical message

The rule requires that there be "20% left" on the disk AND there be less than 2GB of space.  I want it to only check the "20% left" portion of the rule.

Also, how do I create this for my Vista clients?  Our office will be all Vista come the end of this month and I'd love to be able to get warning/critical messages for them too.

Thanks again!

Robbie

Monday, September 8, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Free Space MB and Free Space % work in tandem in this monitor. The alert is tripped when both thresholds are crossed. To alert only the 20%, you  need to set the Free Space MB to a value that is higher than 20% free space on the largest logical drive in the Vista machines.

For example, for a 100GB drive, setting 20% and 21000MB free would result in an alert at 20% free space.

Make sense?
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:53 AM
  • Pete,

Thanks for your reply!

I think it totally makes sense to set it up like that.  However, I want to avoid the whole "Free Space MB" altogether.

Is it possible then to define my own monitor with just "Free Space %"?  I tried to set that up for Vista and it wouldn't let me save the rule because the high threshold has to be lower than the low.

Basically, I tried copying the rule for Windows 2003 and even it shows that it's "set up wrong" because of the threshold amounts.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Robbie

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Pete,

After re-reading your post a few times it seems as though you want me to override the "Free Space MB" part to be something absurd (even larger than the largest disk) so that that part of the rule is also true, and then when 20% of the free space is available I'd get a warning.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

Thanks again for your help!

Robbie

• Proposed as answer by Tabish Ansari Monday, July 2, 2012 7:41 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:35 PM
  • I think we're on the same page. I want you to set the Free MB value to somethin absurdly large, so the practical threshold that generates the alert is the 20% Free Space.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:20 PM