Menu shortcuts in different locales ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My question is specific to menu shortcuts(mnemonics). In MS Word, menu labels such as File, View etc have a character underline ('F' in 'File' and 'N' in 'New') to indicate that this character should be pressed in conjunction with 'Alt' key to access the 'File' or 'New' menu/menuitem respectively. My question is -

1. Do MS Word or other similar applications which support menu shortcuts(mnemonics) have character underlined in other locales, other than english, also ?

2. If yes, are they still a single key press along with 'Alt' to access such menus/menuitems etc ?

3. Any idea on how underlining characters in other locales work ?

Thanks.

Deepak

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:31 AM

All replies

• 1. Yes.

2. Yes (but Office 2007 and later have many Alt+multiple character mnemonics).

3. The actual caption of the menu item has an ampersand character & before the underlined character. If you create custom menu/toolbar items, you can use this to create your own mnemonics. For example, the actual caption of the File menu is &File. The menu system doesn't display the & but underlines the F after it.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Thanks Hans. That was helpful.

It is still not clear how characters are marked for underlining in locales other than English. For example, in our product we write 'File' label as below in japanese locale properties file -

File=\u30d5\u30a1\u30a4\u30eb

Similarly, we have separate properties files for chinese etc.

Here, it is not clear to me -

1. if similar kind of approach (putting '&' in front of character to be underlined in English locale) can be used in these locales.

2. Even if i put '&', i am not sure how it will be interpreted by I18N/NLS while doing conversion.

3. Moreover, i also read somewhere that it may be possible in other locales that to press underlined character one may need to press multiple keys in conjunction with 'Alt'.

Thanks.

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:22 AM
  • I'm afraid I don't know how the menu system works in non-western languages. I hope that someone else will be able to help you with that.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:30 AM