We can't connect to Exchange. Please try later. RRS feed

• Question

• I get this message on Android, and also on my Pc outside the Lan and in some Lan pcs as well.

On the Windows clients the message is slightly different:

Translated from French: Skype Enterprise and Exchange are not connected for the moment. You may have problems with your contact list and conversations.

or

Skype Enterprise cannot connect to Exchange.You may have problems with your contact list and conversations.

Actually everything is working pretty fine, except the Skype integration in Owa. I could have the presence in Owa for a while, but no contact list. At present Owa says:

There is a problem with IM. Please try again later. If the problem continues contact help desk.

Skype 2015 on-prem

Exchange 2013 on-prem

Windows server 2012R2

Monday, August 28, 2017 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi lonbluster,

What issue did you encounter with this error message?

Did you have this error message with IOS device or windows phone?

For windows client, please press Ctrl and right click Lync icon in the taskbar, open configuration information. On the open page check if EWS status and MAPI status are OK.

Here is a blog for your reference https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3120929/lync-skype-for-business-client-can-t-connect-with-exchange-in-office-3

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi Alice

Thanks for your input.

Nice link! I had skipped it because it mentioned O365.

I have set EWSenabled to true in Set-OrganizationConfig, and also

Set-OrganizationConfig –EwsApplicationAccessPolicy:EnforceAllowList –EwsAllowList:"OWA/*"

This link does not tak about other possible applications, where are they?

At the moment all my Windows clients are asking me to authenticate to Exchange. Mapi Status OK. Ews has not fully initialized. No external or internal Ews urls. Autodiscover url returns an xml with error 600.

For a moment I saw some clients with EWS internal and external url and all status on OK. I think I have messed up with the Virtual directories authentication.

I only have Android phones, and I keep getting the same "we can't connect to Exchange..."

• Edited by lonbluster Monday, August 28, 2017 6:40 AM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Update...after a total reboot all my Windows pc have the EWS internal and external url. Ews status ok. Mapi status ok.

Android...same message: we can't connect to Exchange...

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Now Android SBF is behaving having disabled

Set-CsMobilityPolicy AllowExchangeConnectivity $false

but I'm not sure what functionality I will miss.

Still I would like to solve the issue with im in owa.

Initially I haven't created any pool partner application because the article for the integration says that it is not necessary if you have UM and Umcallrouter in the same machine, and would break Owa integration. And it worked a few times.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688055.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

But because I have multiple Exchnage servers I have given it a try and created the pool.

Does the certificate need to contain the fqdn of the skype pool? It seems to me it has to list only the Exchange servers fqdns.

Monday, August 28, 2017 5:28 PM
  • Deleted
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:30 AM
  • I m not sure if I should open a new case for the IM in Owa, anyway, here's some logs

Get-ServerHealth -Identity exch13n1| where {$_.name -eq "OwaIMInitializationFailedMonitor"}|fl

RunspaceId              : b0002f81-86da-4560-9026-97b61f30b7ac
    Server                  : exch13n1
    CurrentHealthSetState   : NotApplicable
    Name                    : OwaIMInitializationFailedMonitor
    TargetResource          : OWA.Protocol.Dep
    HealthSetName           : OWA.Protocol.Dep
    HealthGroupName         : KeyDependencies
    AlertValue              : Unhealthy
    FirstAlertObservedTime  : 8/27/2017 6:00:32 PM
    Description             :
    IsHaImpacting           : False
    RecurranceInterval      : 0
    DefinitionCreatedTime   : 8/28/2017 11:14:56 AM
    HealthSetDescription    :
    ServerComponentName     : None
    LastTransitionTime      : 8/27/2017 6:00:32 PM
    LastExecutionTime       : 8/29/2017 2:05:51 AM
    LastExecutionResult     : Succeeded
    ResultId                : 31399056
    WorkItemId              : 307
    IsStale                 : False
    Error                   :
    Exception               :
    IsNotified              : False
    LastFailedProbeId       : -1504313255
    LastFailedProbeResultId : 10756657
    ServicePriority         : 1
    Identity                : OWA.Protocol.Dep\OwaIMInitializationFailedMonitor\OWA.Protocol.Dep
    IsValid                 : True
    ObjectState             : New

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:42 PM