none
Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error when trying to back up VMs on one of the three Hyper-V nodes:

"Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. (ID 32612 Details: Back up is in progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation again (0x8007173D))"

VMs on Host02 and Host03 back up just fine.  The error only occurs when trying to back up VMs on Host01.  I've gone through everything mentioned in this article - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634192.aspx.  I'm using Software VSS only and serialization is all set up.  As a test I moved VMs from Host01 to Host02 and they back up fine.  VMs that I moved from Host02 to Host01 would error out.

All three Hyper-V hosts are configured the same, so there must be something about Host01 causing this that I just can't figure out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Friday, January 6, 2012 12:36 AM

Answers

• I don't tink so. In my knowledge this key is only read when the DPMRA service starts. But you should be fine there sinds the back-up on those hosts do not give any problems. Have you seen the CSV be owned by host1? Maybe you can check the cluster manager and try to make host 1 owner.

I have a recoomendation though. Backing up Vm's this way is not recommended. You should use a VSS hardware provider. You can check with your storage provider. This has got to do with the CSV going in redirected mode and redirect all the data ment for storage over a network adapter dedicated for the cluster.

Maybe you can consider this?

• Marked as answer by LouieQS Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:24 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Louie,

I assume the back-up feature omn host 1 is enabeled?

My fist guess would be a problem with a VSS writer. Please check this with the following command:

vssadmin list writers

Check if there are any errors here. Also check:

vssadmin list shadows

to see if there is a shadow copy active. If is please remove it and try again.

Hope this helps,

Friday, January 6, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi Marthijn,

Thank you so much for replying!

Yes, Host01 has Windows Server Backup Features enabled.

When I run the vssadmin list writers command everything shows Stable and No error.

When I run the vssadmin list shadows command it says "No items found that satisfy the query."

I also rebooted Host01 and same problem.

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:22 PM
  • ok perfect.

Can you please check the writers with the vssadmin list writers command on host1 and copmpare them with the ones on host 2 and 3? Should be the same ones. Maybe you are missing the hyper-v vss writer.

Hope this helps,

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:58 PM
  • When I do a vssadmin list writers command on all three hosts, Host01 has the exact same writers as Host 02 and 03.  Host01 does list the Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer.  Any other ideas?
    Friday, January 6, 2012 10:04 PM
  • You might have a problem with your DataSourceGroups.xml file. Please check this item:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmhypervbackup/thread/239ee142-a999-4aa7-9f24-08329a491462/

Regards,

Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Yes, I did all that as well but still getting the same error.  I haven't rebooted Host02 or Host03.  Do you think that would help at all?
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I don't tink so. In my knowledge this key is only read when the DPMRA service starts. But you should be fine there sinds the back-up on those hosts do not give any problems. Have you seen the CSV be owned by host1? Maybe you can check the cluster manager and try to make host 1 owner.

I have a recoomendation though. Backing up Vm's this way is not recommended. You should use a VSS hardware provider. You can check with your storage provider. This has got to do with the CSV going in redirected mode and redirect all the data ment for storage over a network adapter dedicated for the cluster.

Maybe you can consider this?

• Marked as answer by LouieQS Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:24 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 7:55 PM
  • That's it!  Host01 is unable to be the "owner" of the CSV, which was the root cause of the error.  I tested this with a test CSV and was able to duplicate the issue.  We originally had a two-node cluster so when we added Host01 as the third node, I didn't set Host01 as a possible owner of the CSV.

So now that the root cause has been identified, now the question is how to add Host01 as a possible owner of the CSV.  Once the LUN has been added as a CSV, there's no setting to add Host01 as a possible owner.  Based on my testing, the LUN would need to be removed from CSV, which makes it just generic storage within Failover Cluster Manager.  From there I can then right-click, Properties, Advanced Policies tab, check-mark next to Host01 as Possible Owner.  But I would rather not have to shut down all my VMs and remove the LUN from the CSV just to make this setting change.  Any ideas on how to make Host01 as a Possible Owner without removing the LUN from the CSV first?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Found this article to help me with adding a Possible Owner to a CSV:  http://virtuallyaware.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/blog-highlight-add-possible-owner-to-a-cluster-shared-volume/

Problem is resolved!  Thank you so much for your help!!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:24 PM