none
DPM2010 Shares are not enumerated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

DPM2010 W2008 R2, FileCluster W2008 R2, Firewalls are off

I actually protect different resources on this cluster with DPM without any problem. Now we moved the user shares (2700 shares) to the cluster and I want to protect the shares.

The shares resides on 5 different Disks. When I modify the PG to add the additional members I can only see " All volumes" not "All shares". But I want to add "All shares" so the users can use the End-User-Recovery feature.

I also have the Event: 3123 Source: DPM-EM "Failed to update permissions used for end-user recovery. .. DPM cannot browse <servername> because the host is unreachable." This is not true the server and all share s are accesible and I protect now for the moment "All Volumes" without any problems.

Any Ideas? Is there a limit on enumerating shares?
    Regards Rudi

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hello,

We got it. The shares are now visible. End-user protection has nothing to do with it, nor a limitation of protection group members.

We migrated a Clustergroup called "usergroup1" from  a W2003 Cluster to W2008R2 cluster. The group contains 7 Disks (1 Mount point disk and 6 data disks) the IPs and 7 Netnames, and about 2700 shares. One netname was "usergroup1" - like the clustergroup itself.  This netname was never used to access shared data, but we migrated the netname also.

On the new 2008R2 cluster the old Netnames become "ServerName" and the IP is assigned to this name. As we do not use the name "usergoup1" we did not assign an IP and left this resource offline.

Now we had the situation that the Groupname (now called "Services and Applications") and the resource "ServerName" were identically --- "usergroup1".
    We deleted the obsolete "ServerName" "usergroup1" and since this DPM is able to enumerate and show the shares. Seems that DPM was a bit confused when crawling the cluster resources.

Anyway the migration was good downtime for the users less than 1 hour. And we are glad to protect the new cluster with DPM so the users can use EUR.

Regards Rudi

• Marked as answer by Rudi.Demarini Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:20 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:14 AM