none
Is it possible for Actual & Remaining hours from PWA Timesheets (published to the plan) to flow back to TFS? RRS feed

• Question

• It appears from my testing that the Actual Work & Remaining Work entered in PWA Timesheets for a project linked to a TFS Team project (Agile Template) does not flow back TFS.  Is there a way to enable this data flow back to TFS?
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:39 PM

All replies

• Are you using the plug-in (maps project schedules but not Project Server to TFS) or the server-to-server integration?

Assuming server integration, then the data probably is flowing back to TFS, but it's going into the mirror value field.  You can learn about that here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh190734.aspx

If you want Project Server data to overwrite the TFS data, that is also possible.  Here's a link to get you started.  Note in particular the OnConflict attribute.  I think what you want is PSWins.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412657.aspx

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Reid,

Thanks for the links - very helpful!  We are using server-to-server Project Server 2013 to TFS 2012 integration.

Ideally we want our development team to enter hours in TFS and have Actual Work and Remaining Work sync to Project Server.  There is a break down (according to my testing at least) b/c we have to track Actual Work & Remaining Work on daily basis and if only 2 hours was worked on a TFS task, only 2 hours should be recorded for that particular Day in Project Server Timesheet (but Project Server lumps the 2 hours with whatever existing hours did not complete the 8 hour allotment for that day.

So if we have the development teams enter Actual & Remaining Work in Project Server Timesheets, how do we get the data to flow over to TFS?  Does the data have to be Approved and Published to the plan before it will sync back to TFS; does the plan also have to be re-published?  What is the recommended best practice for this scenario?

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:21 PM
  • There is a break down (according to my testing at least) b/c we have to track Actual Work & Remaining Work on daily basis and if only 2 hours was worked on a TFS task, only 2 hours should be recorded for that particular Day in Project Server Timesheet (but Project Server lumps the 2 hours with whatever existing hours did not complete the 8 hour allotment for that day.

Does the data have to be Approved and Published to the plan before it will sync back to TFS; does the plan also have to be re-published?  What is the recommended best practice for this scenario?

(but Project Server lumps the 2 hours with whatever existing hours did not complete the 8 hour allotment for that day.

I don't understand what you are saying in the text I've underlined above.

Yes, in your scenario, the plan would have to be updated and then published in order for the data to sync back to TFS.  Syncs from Project only happen on Publish.

I can't tell you a best practice because it seems what you're doing may not, in itself, be a good practice.  I think if we clear up the problem - especially the underlined text - you may find that you don't need to take this approach at all.  One of the greatest benefits of PS-TFS integration is that people working in TFS don't have to use the Tasks or Timesheet functionality in Project Server; instead they can enter their time in TFS.  I've never seen that not work.

One more question: How often are timesheets submitted? In other words, what timespan does a single timesheet cover?

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Say you have a 40 hour task linked to TFS (Timesheet spreads 8 hrs/day, M - F).

Developer, Monday, works & enters 2 hours in TFS and Timesheet records 2 hrs on Monday

Developer, Tuesday, works & enters 4 hours in TFS and Timesheet records 4 hrs on Monday (since the 8 hours bucket for that day has not been filled).  We want Timesheet to show the 4 hours actually worked on Tuesday.

Timesheets are Weekly (cover Monday - Friday), although the desire is to have our resources enter time daily to increase accuracy of invoicing.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:58 PM
  • OK, I see what you are getting at.  If you want that level of precision in timekeeping on TFS tasks, then the PM should - every day - process updates and then open the schedule in Project Pro and reschedule uncompleted work to start the next day (Project ribbon > Update Project); then save and publish.

Or you modify the mappings and require your TFS resources to report their time in Project Server (Whether that is in a Timesheet or in the Tasks page should depend on other considerations beyond this immediate topic.)

The first method puts a burden on the PM; the second method puts a burden on everyone else.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:18 PM
  • So per your second option, if our TFS resources report time in Project Server, is their a way to modify the mappings so the time entered in Timesheet gets pushed to the TFS Completed Work & Remaining Work (without the PM having to approve/save/publish every task update)?
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Yes, you can modify the mappings.  See above.

The PM could also set up rules (in the Approvals page) to automatically approve and publish all task updates.  You would have to do the alternate mapping and then test to be sure such automatic approval would push the changes to TFS.  It's generally not a good practice for the PM to auto-approve every update, but the tool allows it.

If I were consulting for you, I would urging you to think this all through before choosing this course.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:50 PM