none
What is your project documentation solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have Project Online Professional and there doesn't seem to be a robust project documentation tool, besides using a Project sites.

Maybe Project Online Premium has additional features for this, so that's why I'm asking.  Is there any other options besides using a project site for managing project documents?

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:02 PM

All replies

• dcase840 --

The beauty of using the built-in Documents library functionality in the SharePoint Project Site is that it keeps every documents associated with its own project.  For example, if I want to see all of the projects associated with the Absolute Technology R250 Infrastructure Project, I simply need to navigate to the Project Site for that project.  In fact, users can easily access the Project Site for that project by clicking the Documents link for the project in the Project Center page.

It is possible to create a single document library in Project Online that is not associated with any Project Site.  For example, our company creates a document library named Knowledge Center for our each of our clients, and then include all FAQ and Procedure documents in that document library.  The limitation of this approach, however, is that none of the documents placed in this library would be associated with any project, at least not directly the way they are in the Project Site.

For your needs, I would recommend you teach your people to use the built-in Documents libraries in each Project Site.  Just a few thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by James McIllece Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Many documentation teams are now using GitHub. It was originally designed as a software development repository, but some teams at Microsoft now use it for documentation like the Windows Server doc team. ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/windows-server )

https://github.com/

Thanks -

James McIllece

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Have a look at Systems Analysis Interesting Web Sites List; there might be something useful there.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Proposed as answer by James McIllece Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:09 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:34 PM