Desktop icon for user files.... RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm not really sure how this happened but I was making a folder on my desktop and I was starting to type in ".net" for the name of the folder and then realized I did not want to call it this, but I accidently hit enter and for some reason it renamed the user files icon on my desktop to "net"....is there any way to change it back?  I'm not even sure why it happened!
    John Whites
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:35 PM

All replies

• What is the version of the OS you have if it is vista ultimate then check if you have the previous version for the desktop folder and try to restore it back.

Regards
    Venkat
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to run System Restore to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

To make the issue clear, please let us know the detail steps you performed previously. The more detail, the better. Your efforts are highly appreciated.

Meanwhile, please also capture some screenshots on your desktop, the folder which you want to name as “.net” and the user files icon “net”.

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the files and share their URLs with us.

Once getting the information, I will check if I can reproduce the issue and perform some further researches.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:51 AM
  •  

Hi,

I just want to see how everything is going and if you have time to collect the information. If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 7:39 AM