Launching Local Application Adobe Reader X from within sequenced application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have a small application which has XLS,DOC,PDF-documents linked within it.
    Office2010 and Adobe Reader X are locally installed.
    Normally the "real" installation shows selected docs in a preview pane. Not in the sequenced version, though a button "open document" gives the opportunity to open the DOC/XLS ones (not the PDFs).
    Later the 4.6SP1 sequenced package will be used as stream from file. No RTSP exists.

I sequenced now to Q: and C:\program files. I have used LOCAL INTERACTION "allowed". I have used a template with inclusion of appdata\local and interact with local com objects stuff like this....

In all cases the behaviour is always the same. No PDFs in preview, no doubleclick possible to open them from within.

I believe the OSD-dependency is the key, but yet i did not figure out how to successfully enter a dependency to local AdobeReader. The examples in the sequencing guide 4.6 Sp1, page59, chapter 14.8 Launching Local Applications refers to rtsp-settings.

any idea ?

PS: sorry if any informations here are missing. it's my first post and my 6-7 OSD-file-entries would have been too much ;-)))

office is 2010 but this application requires office 2003 and the latest version of adobe x reader.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• App-V 4.6 SP2 now includes a fix for Adobe Reader X and Protected Mode which might apply here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2738315

Ability to virtualize Adobe Reader X while in protected mode You can virtualize Adobe Reader X while the protected mode feature turned on. In earlier versions of App-V, you must disable the protected mode feature in order to virtualize Adobe Reader X.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Without know how your specific application calls these external applications - suggesting a remedy would be guess work.

I usually use process monitor to determine what happens in the background and from the knowledge attempt to understand how the application functions.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:12 PM
  • App-V 4.6 SP2 now includes a fix for Adobe Reader X and Protected Mode which might apply here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2738315

Ability to virtualize Adobe Reader X while in protected mode You can virtualize Adobe Reader X while the protected mode feature turned on. In earlier versions of App-V, you must disable the protected mode feature in order to virtualize Adobe Reader X.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:47 PM