Crawl Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking at crawl settings in SharePoint 2007. A book I have and most websites I have visited on this topic suggest crawl settings are managed in Central Administration > Application Management > Create or configure this farm’s shared services. I don't have the Create or configure this farm’s shared services option in my Application Management. Is this likely to be a permissions issue. If so how do I get it?

Cheers

Paul

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Since you don't have the Create or configure this farm's shared services link and you don't have an existing SSP, it starting to sound like to me that you have Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS) and not Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS).

WSS does not have the Office SharePoint Search Service (osearch) and thus there is no crawl to configure.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Marked as answer by runnerpaul Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:42 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• Along the left hand side of most pages in Central Administration you should see a link to the SSP Administration page, something like this:

Central admin navigation

Under Shared Services Administration, click on the SSP you want to configure (there could be one or more). In this example you would click on SharedServices1. At this point you're now at the SSP administration page and you should be able to continue with whatever steps you have (for example in the View crawl logs (Office SharePoint Server) article you would just completed step 1c.)

If you don't have access this is when you would receive an access denied error. To access it you need to be a site collection administrator (link is for 2010 but steps are the same for 2007) of the SSP Admin site collection. Alternatively you could give yourself a full control web application user policy for the web application where the SSP Admin site collection lives.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Jason. I don't have Shared Services Administration in my menu.
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Since you don't have the Create or configure this farm's shared services link and you don't have an existing SSP, it starting to sound like to me that you have Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS) and not Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS).

WSS does not have the Office SharePoint Search Service (osearch) and thus there is no crawl to configure.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Marked as answer by runnerpaul Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:42 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Ah OK. Yes, thats correct. I do have

Apologies.I'm new to SharePoint and was told it's 2007 by a colleague. I just took him at his word. I actually do have Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS).

Thank's for the help

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:38 PM
  • No worries, and to be honest it is confusing. WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 are both "SharePoint 2007." This is likely one of the reasons with SharePoint 2010 they renamed WSS to SharePoint Foundation and MOSS to SharePoint Server.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:44 PM