How many times I'm I allow to activate Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I having a problem when installing vista. I already activated it. but had to reformat the disk. I don't know if activating vista again so soon will invalidate my key.

So, how many times can I activate vista from the same computer?
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 10:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are using a retail copy of Windows Vista, you can activate your system by phone for unlimited times.

Microsoft Activation Center: 888-571-2048

Please feel free to format your drive and reinstall Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Microsoft will not let you activate vista over the internet after the second or thired re-installation because you could be trying to install it on multiple systems, So you need to ring them so they can ask you questions like how many systems do you have this O/S installed on.

It’s just for verification to see if your trying to break the law "Accidently or intentionally" Either way you can just lie to them but I am not saying to do that.

I am sure the MSFT guy will come up with a better reason that explains it more.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:14 AM

All replies

• You should be able to activate vista as many times as you wish providing it is on the same machine.

You may need to activate by phone after the second install.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

If you are using a retail copy of Windows Vista, you can activate your system by phone for unlimited times.

Microsoft Activation Center: 888-571-2048

Please feel free to format your drive and reinstall Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 3:29 AM
  • I also have another question about this activation in vista.

With Windows XP, I was able to always activate it from the internet. In Vista, I was only able once. How can I activate Vista from the web every time?
    Monday, September 8, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Microsoft will not let you activate vista over the internet after the second or thired re-installation because you could be trying to install it on multiple systems, So you need to ring them so they can ask you questions like how many systems do you have this O/S installed on.

It’s just for verification to see if your trying to break the law "Accidently or intentionally" Either way you can just lie to them but I am not saying to do that.

I am sure the MSFT guy will come up with a better reason that explains it more.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:14 AM
  •  

having a problem when installing Windows XP home. I already activated it. but had to reformat the disk. I don't know if activating Windows home again so soon will invalidate my key.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:18 AM