none
How to move MIM 2016 database, other than FIM 2010 reinstallation method? RRS feed

• Question

• We're getting a new database server (with new host name) for our MIM 2016 installation. What are the correct methods for pointing MIM to the new database?

I've seen TechNet pages saying to re-install FIM 2010, others saying to edit registry settings, and there are likely even more methods. I'm looking for all supported options, preferably the easiest path, but reliability is more important than simplicity.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:46 PM

Answers

• Another way would be to create SQL alias for the database. It is more useful if you would use the alias from the beginning, but would work here as well.

On FIM box, run "cliconfg" from cmd/powershell. The console is something like hosts file for SQL. So if you have for example databases on SQL2010 server and want to move them to FIMSQL2017 server, you need to create alias like:

Then just backup DBs from SQL2010 and restore them on FIMSQL2017 (don't forget that FIMService has some SQLAgent jobs as well), check accounts if they are ok and you can start the services. They would operate on new SQL.

It is a good idea to create such aliases during FIM/MIM installation "in case of" any changes to SQL.

So instead of installing FIM on SQL server/cluster like "WSPCHSQL001A02CLU" it would be better to create alias with "FIMSQL" name - then in case you need to move mailboxes, just change server name in alias and you don't need to change anything to FIM services.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by LloydGM Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:41 AM

All replies

• Re-running the installation and changing the database name is the supported way.

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Another way would be to create SQL alias for the database. It is more useful if you would use the alias from the beginning, but would work here as well.

On FIM box, run "cliconfg" from cmd/powershell. The console is something like hosts file for SQL. So if you have for example databases on SQL2010 server and want to move them to FIMSQL2017 server, you need to create alias like:

Then just backup DBs from SQL2010 and restore them on FIMSQL2017 (don't forget that FIMService has some SQLAgent jobs as well), check accounts if they are ok and you can start the services. They would operate on new SQL.

It is a good idea to create such aliases during FIM/MIM installation "in case of" any changes to SQL.

So instead of installing FIM on SQL server/cluster like "WSPCHSQL001A02CLU" it would be better to create alias with "FIMSQL" name - then in case you need to move mailboxes, just change server name in alias and you don't need to change anything to FIM services.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by LloydGM Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:41 AM