How to use Mail Merge Wizard to produce labels from SQL data source? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, i have set up a mailmerge from our SQL database for a few years now and all is fine. I've now decided to create a labels template in word and hook it up to the SQL database the same way, one problem i have is when i select the recipients to merge on the label i only get the first client i selected and no others.

I have four labels to a page, i'm using the <NEXT> tag at the end of each record (although if i remove this i still get the same issue). The merge template has a direct link to SQL, no .xls or .mdb as an intermediate (just a sql query). I'm using the recommended MailMerge Wizard.

So all in all i'm just trying to merge four different clients per page but i get one. Any help will be appreciated.

I don't work for Microsoft - I just use their products.

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:54 PM

Answers

• It is probably worth using Alt-F9 to view all the field codes in your mail merge main document and ensure that you have not done something like nest all your fields inside an empty field code.

When you go into Edit recipient list... (In step 3 of the wizard), do you see more than one record in the list?

If you only see 1, it sounds more like a problem to do with the data or how you have fetched it. Do you actually have more than 1 record in the database? Have you applied any filters?

If you see more than 1, it sounds more like a problem with your Label document. If you use preview (step 5 of the Wizard) do you see the data changing?

> i'm using the <NEXT> tag at the end of each record

This is probably not important, but normally when Word creates a Mail Merge Label document, it puts a { NEXT } field at the beginning of every "label cell" in the table except the first.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, May 20, 2013 2:24 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:11 PM

All replies

• It is probably worth using Alt-F9 to view all the field codes in your mail merge main document and ensure that you have not done something like nest all your fields inside an empty field code.

When you go into Edit recipient list... (In step 3 of the wizard), do you see more than one record in the list?

If you only see 1, it sounds more like a problem to do with the data or how you have fetched it. Do you actually have more than 1 record in the database? Have you applied any filters?

If you see more than 1, it sounds more like a problem with your Label document. If you use preview (step 5 of the Wizard) do you see the data changing?

> i'm using the <NEXT> tag at the end of each record

This is probably not important, but normally when Word creates a Mail Merge Label document, it puts a { NEXT } field at the beginning of every "label cell" in the table except the first.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, May 20, 2013 2:24 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:11 PM
  • For cross-posting etiquette, please read:
    http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:00 AM