none
Azure AD Connect - On-premises AD object attribute(s) not sync'ing to Office 365

Question

• I hope I'm putting this in the correct forum category.

We have an on-premises Active Directory.  Several years ago, the organization had an on-premises Exchange server, so the schema was extended at one time.  However, this on-premises Exchange server was decommissioned a few years ago, and the organization has since been using hosted Exchange.  Last year, we moved our hosted Exchange to Office 365, and we were using the DirSync utility to perform the synchronization.  The AD objects' attributes were synchronizing without issue (i.e., I was able set the 'msExchHideFromAddressLists' attribute to "TRUE" on an AD object and that "user" would be hidden from our GAL.)   Earlier this year, I received the notification that DirSync was deprecated and I needed to switch to Azure AD Connect.

I don't know if my issue started after switching to Azure AD Connect or if the issue started after Microsoft upgraded the Office 365 servers to Exchange 2016.  But at this moment, the synchronization of the Exchange attributes for the AD objects do not appear to be synchronizing (i.e., an AD account that I had the 'msExchHideFromAddressLists' attribute set to "TRUE" and was previously hidden from the GAL is no longer hidden.)  Working with Office 365 techs, I've set the attribute to "FALSE" and forced sync.  I've set the attribute to "Not Set" and forced sync.  I've set the attribute back to "TRUE" and forced sync.  I've forced AAD Connect to perform initial sync (using PowerShell cmdlet 'Start-ADSyncSyncCycle -PolicyType Initial').  I cannot delete the account in question because management is 'holding onto the account' for legal purposes, but I've created a new account, sync'd, set the attribute, sync'd, and checked that GAL - all to no avail.

I've been told I don't need to extend the AD schema using Exchange 2016; however, I've read at other forums that is works.

Thoughts, please?

Thank you!

Monday, December 19, 2016 4:52 PM

All replies