none
MS Project 2010 Std - When I exit the app several Actual Start Date tasks default to the Project Beginning date. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• App - MS Project 2010 STD (v14.0.6129.5000 32 bit)

I have a Project Schedule, created in May 2012, updated monthly and the past several
    months I have noticed that several actual tasks have started reverting
    back to the Project Start date of 11Jun2011. After I update/correct the actual
    dates and close the schedule (Exit); then reopen the file later those tasks
    that I just fixed revert back to the Project Start date. The project is
    Baselined, has 365 tasks, and roughly 8 activities appear corrupted - Why?

My settings: Calendar Standard with Legal Holidays, I am in putting Physical Per
    Cent Complete which after I input the Actual start date either the % Complete and
    % Work Complete are populated sometimes automatically and manually, automatic
    schedule is turned “ON”, Task Type – Fixed Units, Constraint Type = As Soon As
    Possible.  Note - several of these 8 tasks are progressed at increments of 10% per month and some of these were completed in my Decemeber month at 100%.

• Edited by Rich W2 Monday, January 7, 2013 4:54 PM grammar
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:53 PM

All replies

• Strange. Should not have other than if you are checking in/out to another compatible system. Also check you have saved your project start from Project Info dialog and scheduling from the project start date. Check your resource calendars. They should extend from the same global calendar. 

Satya Dash
    http://managementyogi.blogspot.in/
    https://twitter.com/ManagementYogi

Monday, January 7, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Few more information needed : Is this file edited by single user or multiple users? Is it sharing resources through resource pool? Is it shared/updated through a network file location. Also, just a quick test try to save a copy of this file and see if the issue is still seen. You can try to save the file in XML and re-open in the project. This may eliminate the corruptions.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Sapna,
    1 Is this file edited by single user or multiple users? - I share this file with another person outside of my company for him to update and return, via emailing. Then I go through my update process, validate changes and such. This is annoying to have actual start dates move after I have finished with my corrections.

2 Is it sharing resources through resource pool? - This project file does not have resources assigned, in one of my Text fields; I have inserted company initials and hope this clarifies your question.

3 quick tests try to save a copy of this file and see if the issue is still seen - I usually close the file, then reopen the next day and find these movements to the actual start dates only.

4 Is it shared/updated through a network file location. - No, only emailed, not shared and yes it is saved on the local server.

5 You can try to save the file in XML and re-open in the project. This may eliminate the corruptions. - Later this month I will begin my update process by saving it as an xml file and reopen to see if that eliminates any corruptions.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:02 PM
  • In MS Project 2010 standard I am having same problem of start & finsh dates of completed tasks change to project start date when re-opening project schedule.

There is some inconsistancies with tasks that will eventually hold specific actual dates though I don't know why.

Any connections or recommendations to Advanced Settings of Scheduling or Calculation options, or Update Project function.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:33 PM
  • cuzz2,

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, install it.

If you already have the update installed, it may be an issue of file corruption or corruption of your Global file. If the file itself is corrupt it can often be corrected by saving to XML and then re-opening. Note, you will lose any custom formatting using this process.

If this issue happens on all of your files (i.e. not just this particular file), then I suspect corruption of your Global file. In order to reset Project's Global file to the default setting, you will have to edit the registry. Follow the steps outlined by Julie Sheet's in the following thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/0dddff65-fe5e-445c-a6c2-df9cf18063d9/cant-edit-the-task-mode?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:20 PM