Issues with temporary files on RAMdisk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I recently installed Windows 7 on my SSD. To improve my computer's performances and increase the life of my SDD, I modified TEMP/TMP environment variables for user and system to store my temporary files on a RAMdisk. The performances are better but sometimes, I have the following issues :
    - iTunes is very slow to start
    - Visual Studio 2010 shows an error when I compile a project
    and other little things...
    Maybe because after restarting Windows, temporary files stored on the RAMdisk are cleared (but I'm not sure).

I would like to know if there are best practices to store temporary files on a SSD :
    - Should I have to store only user's temporary files on the RAMdisk and keep system's temporary files on the SSD ?
    - Should I have sometimes store temporarily my temp files on my SSD and after restarting one or two times, store them on the RAMdisk ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Nicolas C.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• All you have accoumplished by moving temp files to another location is to increase the seek time.  Just let Windows manage the operating system as it was designed to do.

Carey Frisch

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Monday, June 11, 2012 5:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:45 AM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Furthermore, other ways to increase Windows 7 performance you can refer:

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:45 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:45 AM