none
Report on a single task RRS feed

• Question

• I have a master schedule that consists of sub-projects. Each sub-project, among other things, has a task called "Evaluation." I'd like to run a report that just gives me a list of all the Evaluations for all projects. Is this possible with a report? 
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• Although I'm still hoping there's a way I can run a report to generate a simple list, I think I've figured out a workaround.  Insert the "Project" column, and it gives the name of the sub-project in basically every field. So when summary tasks are filtered out, it will still show up.

• Edited by jxf9356 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by jxf9356 Friday, August 23, 2013 7:43 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:28 PM
  • This works as well, thanks!. Remember to add the "Or" function between the two conditions.

1. [Outline Level] equals 1

Or
    2. [Name] contains 'Evaluation'

And in my case, uncheck 'Show related summary rows'

• Marked as answer by jxf9356 Friday, August 23, 2013 7:53 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 7:52 PM

All replies

• jsf9356,

You don't say which report you are using but it could be as simple as creating a filter that tests for "evaluation" in the task name. You may or may not want to include related summary lines. Be advised however that anytime a string (i.e. text) is part of a test, a misspelled word (e.g. evalation, eveluation, etc.) will be missed.

John

• Proposed as answer by Andrew Simpson Friday, August 23, 2013 8:02 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thanks John. Is there a way to ignore the related summary lines?  For instance, when I run a filter of "Evaluation" they all show up, but so do their parent tasks.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Assuming you're using project 2010, the the Gantt Format tab, there's a tick box to show or hide summary tasks:

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:43 PM
  • jsf9356,

It looks like Andrew jumped in before I could get back to you. Does this answer your questions?

John

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Partially. It's so close. I did all the steps above, but I'm left with :

Evaluation

Evaluation

Evaluation

When what I really want is:

Project A

Evaluation

Project B

Evaluation

Project C

Evaluation.

I'm able to successfully isolate the tasks as a list, but I can't tell which is which. I was hoping I'd be able to run a report (or filter) to include sub-project title and task.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Although I'm still hoping there's a way I can run a report to generate a simple list, I think I've figured out a workaround.  Insert the "Project" column, and it gives the name of the sub-project in basically every field. So when summary tasks are filtered out, it will still show up.

• Edited by jxf9356 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by jxf9356 Friday, August 23, 2013 7:43 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:28 PM
  • jsf9356,

That was what I was going to suggest. Adding the Project field will tell you which subproject belongs with which "evaluation", but it sounds like you already found that solution.

I find that some users are a little "skimpy" when they write a task description. Of course, you can also go overboard and be too verbose. However, "evaluation" does not adequately describe a task. Let's say you have multiple subprojects with similar tasks, and maybe they even have one or more tasks that involve some type of evaluation. However, each evaluation task is not identical. For example, let's say you are doing paint sample testing of various manufacturer's paints. Indeed each process may have an evaluation task, but to be truly descriptive, each evaluation task should be "qualified" to completely identify which color, finish, manufacturer, etc. that particular evaluation is describing. Given a good unique description of the task itself, there is no need to separately track which subproject the "evaluation" is part of. Performance task descriptions should be in the form of action verbs with enough information to make that task unique from all others.

My thoughts.

John

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hi there --

Try creating a custom filter with these two conditions:

Condition #1 displays the project summary task for each inserted sub-project, and condition #2 displays the 'Evaluation' tasks. To see how condition #1 works, try inserting the 'Outline Level' field into the table.

Apply the filter... and voila!

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

• Proposed as answer by t0nyz1nk Friday, August 23, 2013 2:17 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:59 PM
  • John,

Definitely a good point.  We use a template on all our projects, and during the close out period, we do an evaluation of the Contractor. It's standard procedure for each project, so each one is basically the same. The advice is certainly appreciated though.

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:38 PM
  • jxf9356,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:49 PM
  • This works as well, thanks!. Remember to add the "Or" function between the two conditions.

Or

And in my case, uncheck 'Show related summary rows'

• Marked as answer by jxf9356 Friday, August 23, 2013 7:53 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Yes, indeed... I forgot to mention the "Or".

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:46 PM