none
FTE in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I noticed that FTE calculation in Project Online only counts the number of resources. For example if there is a person who works one week for 75% of the 40 hours, it still calculates it as 1 FTE for that week or the day that person is working reduced hours. Shouldn't it be calculating it as 0.75 FTE?

If this is not possible in Resource Centre, would you know how FTE can be calculated in custom report?

Thank you,

SJ

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:45 AM

Answers

• I used two strategies for calculating the working days per week and per month, the customer went with the 2nd strategy after testing them both.

1. Use a date table in PowerBI to define the working week, and then use a sharepoint list to define non-working days (bank hols etc).

2. Use a dummy account and use the timephased capacity to calc the working time per week/month.  

Power BI and DAX is your friend in both cases...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi SJ_PPM,

I've done a host of work in Power BI in terms of defining FTEs, and I'll tell you it's not that easy, especially so if you have different calendars and working times for different countries.  Whereas most people think FTE calcs are easy, they are not, because they are all referenced with respect to a timescale (as you eluded to in your post), and therefore any calculation has to take into account the timescale you are referring to; and project of course calculates everything with refence to the minute, though the most granular you can get at the data in Power BI is to the day.

I guess the short answer is yes I know how it can be done, but it's not a trivial thing to do.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:34 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response. 

I actually don't have different calendars. Just the OOTB Standard calendar, but a handful of resource working part-time. 

I first looked at Weeks, but I think month is better.

Looks like I will have to address it using custom report. First I thought of calculating the number of working days per month and then dividing the sum of supply for the month. I tried it and had difficulty counting working days per month.

Any suggestions will be really helpful.

Thank you,

SJ

• Edited by SJ_PPM Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:53 PM spelling
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:28 PM
  • I used two strategies for calculating the working days per week and per month, the customer went with the 2nd strategy after testing them both.

1. Use a date table in PowerBI to define the working week, and then use a sharepoint list to define non-working days (bank hols etc).

2. Use a dummy account and use the timephased capacity to calc the working time per week/month.  

Power BI and DAX is your friend in both cases...

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:31 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you!

I shall look into both.

I am guessing when you say dummy account - you are referring to a dummy work resource. 

I have already started this report on Power BI. Hopefully will find a solution. will updated this by tomorrow hopefully. Thanks again!

SJ

• Edited by SJ_PPM Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:52 PM
  • You're welcome.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Thank you!

Managed to get the FTE calc sorted in Power BI! Thank you for the guidance!

SJ

Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:34 PM