Problem with connecting shapes in canvas RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, It is very difficult to connect two shapes in  the drawing canvas. It is only possible to connect the middle point on each edge from one shape to the middle point on another edge in the second shape. So what can I do if I want to freely connect two shapes (not from the middle points)?
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:00 PM

All replies

• I'm going to attempt to translate what you're asking...you want to insert shapes into Word and then link them together?  This is more of a Visio type of thing, the linking of shapes together.  What you might be seeing is the SNAP points of the shapes...each shape has a boundary where when you drag another shape within the vicinity of the boundary...the two shapes snap together.  Once you have the shapes positioned where you want them to you can use CTRL+LeftMouseClick to select all the shapes, and then GROUP them together to create one big shape.

Not sure if this answers your question...but if you could describe in detail the steps you are performing it would help troubleshoot exactly what you're seeing.

john

John Wildes | Senior Enterprise Architect | United Airlines | Desktop Engineering
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:57 PM
  • No, Please look at the picture here

I want to connect a line from the circle to the upper right corner (marked as '1' in the picture). But as you can see, word only allows to connect to middle point on each edge (marked as blue points in the picture). How can I connect to upper right corner of the rectangle?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:52 PM
  • So I'm not seeing the same thing when I try to reproduce in Word 2010.  Can you take a screenshot of your entire Word Window when the drawing objects are selected...I see nothing in the options here that show connections to points on shapes...I'm able to connect my arrows to any point on the border of the shape with no problem.

r/
    john

John Wildes | Senior Enterprise Architect | United Airlines | Desktop Engineering
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Well, I am using word 2007.  In that screen shot, I moved my mouse pointer  to the upper right but the pointer is not captured in the screen shot. So it is strange why I get that behavior. When I move my mouse pointer the upper right corner, it does not allow.

I will be glad if someone who has word 2007 test that.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:27 AM