none
Vista reformat issues RRS feed

• Question

• Heres the short version of this story - 
    About a month ago my computer picked up a malware virus. After numerous attempts and suggestions to remove this virus, I was unable to achieve success. I tried everything known to man.

In dire efforts, I reformatted my computer, but somehow, during the reinstallation process, nothing installed besides vista. I don't know why this is but my computer has no graphics drivers, my webcam no longer exists apparently, and so on.

I haven't looked too far into this yet (windows update has allowed me to get some essentials back, not much) but if there is a simple way to cure this problem I would appreciate it. 
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

• Right.
    And, there's no "should have been installed" here - unless you have an OEM-built machine that came with 'restore' discs, as opposed to a 'real' Windows disc (HP, Dell, etc), the in-box drivers are only sufficient to complete the install, and get the machine running enough to install the proper chipset & device drivers.
    Just install the chipset drivers first (necessary, so that Windows can 'see' anything else that's connected), and then the rest of the drivers (USB, LAN, sound, etc) for the board, then your videocard drivers, and you should be fine.
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• <<but if there is a simple way to cure this problem I would appreciate it.>>
    Sure is - hit up your computer manufacturer's (or, motherboard manufacturer's, if self-built/local-built) support site for drivers (chipset, etc.)
    Same goes for the videocard.

Once you get the chipset drivers installed, other things (like your webcam) should just start working, once Windows has drivers for the base hardware (webcam won't work, if Windows can't use the USB controllers due to missing drivers.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:54 PM
  • So basically I should hit them up for all the basics that SHOULD have been installed after my reformat, after which all chips should fall into place? Sounds alot more simple than I thought this would be, which would be a huge help haha, thank you.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Right.
    And, there's no "should have been installed" here - unless you have an OEM-built machine that came with 'restore' discs, as opposed to a 'real' Windows disc (HP, Dell, etc), the in-box drivers are only sufficient to complete the install, and get the machine running enough to install the proper chipset & device drivers.
    Just install the chipset drivers first (necessary, so that Windows can 'see' anything else that's connected), and then the rest of the drivers (USB, LAN, sound, etc) for the board, then your videocard drivers, and you should be fine.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:16 PM