none
Power Query Sources parity with PowerBi 365 Data Gateway Sources? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experimenting with PowerBI for Office 365 at my firm. I have several users interested in using it as the mobile BI presentation layer for sources such as Salesforce, Service-Now.com and many other web/SaaS apps. 

Using PowerQuery in Excel, we are having excellent success pulling web data from SaaS providers via various mechanisms such as CSV (E.g. http://my.saas_tool.com/report.do&CSV), JSON, XML.  We are also have great success using SSRS's ODATA/ATOM feature directly to Excel (Power Query has trouble here) whereby users can create their own dashboards using official data from SQL Reporting Services. (A big win!)

For my desktop BI users, the ability to create a PowerPivot workbook, post it to a PowerBI site and schedule the refresh is the expected scenario in all cases.  We of course never want to manually update a workbook and re-post to SharePoint daily.  History tells us that 1-2 forgotten days and leadership loses confidence in the content – becomes stale.

I've seen this post that describes what sources can be sourced from PowerBi: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Supported-Data-Sources-and-Data-Types-cb69a30a-2225-451f-a9d0-59d24419782e?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

It's useful, however I'd like to know if Microsoft plans to have parity between Power Query’s ability to source data and PowerBI’s ability to use the same source to refresh content.

Example.  If hypothetically onprem COGNOS were to be added as a Power Query Connector, would I be safe in assuming that (perhaps a few months later) PowerBI will be able to refresh a PowerPivot workbook via the data gateway to that source?

At this point, the relationship between Power Query and PowerBI’s ability to use it seems to be disjointed.

Can you please provide insight?

Thanks

Eric Vogelpohl - BI Manager

Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:33 AM

Answers

• My goal is for there to be no gap between the time a particular data source is available inside Power Query and the time it can be used for refresh, and I'm hoping will get there during CY2015. Although we do still have a small backlog of things that have yet to be added to refresh, the intent is that any data source that can be accessed from inside Excel should eventually work for refresh in PowerBI. The only specific exception is SAP Business Objects, for which there are licensing concerns that currently preclude us from implementing the functionality.
    Monday, December 8, 2014 4:45 PM

All replies

• My goal is for there to be no gap between the time a particular data source is available inside Power Query and the time it can be used for refresh, and I'm hoping will get there during CY2015. Although we do still have a small backlog of things that have yet to be added to refresh, the intent is that any data source that can be accessed from inside Excel should eventually work for refresh in PowerBI. The only specific exception is SAP Business Objects, for which there are licensing concerns that currently preclude us from implementing the functionality.
    Monday, December 8, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Excellent.  Thanks.  This helps with managing expectations of my users.  Appreciate you.

-Eric.

Monday, December 8, 2014 4:52 PM